New Guy Build Advice

May 18, 2013
Hello all,

I'm getting ready to do my first PC build in the next few months. I only have a laptop now so I'll need everything (OS, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.). It will be used for fps gaming (Arma 3 and BF3/4) and general tasks with occasional video editing as a hobby. I am not opposed to saving money if something I've selected is overkill, but I'd like to stay around or under the current build price of $2600-2700. I will likely upgrade to a crossfire setup in the future, but I am not sure if I'll be overclocking anything in the system. I am new to this and would like any advice you guys can offer on the build. This is the list of components that I am considering as well as my reasoning:

-Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard
-AMD FX-8350 CPU
-Corsair H90 CPU Cooler (My thinking, although it may be wrong, is that it will be more quiet and efficient than a non water cooler. Additionally, I will upgrade to a crossfire setup in the future and this would help keep the case temps down.)
-G.Skill Trident X Series 2 x 8GB DDR3-2400 (Enough for hobbyist video editing?)
-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB (I'd like to upgrade to crossfire in the future)
-Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" SSD (Better off with a smaller SSD and a large HDD? My PC right now is a 5 year old laptop which I am only using 70GB of the 140GB available, but I don't game on it either)
-Corsair Pro Gold 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Extra wattage for future crossfire/possible overclocking)
-Asus Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card (I am considering this mostly because I game with headphones and like better sound for FPS. If I am using the system to watch a movie, I'll be using cheap speakers though.)
-Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30W 2.1ch Speakers (Not going to be using them for anything other than pandora and occasional movie watching)
-LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
-Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case (Good airflow and space for future crossfire/possible overclocking)
-BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor
-Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard
-Razer DeathAdder 2013 Mouse
-Windows 8 64-bit

According to PCpartpicker:
Base Total: $2707.27
Promo Discounts: -$15.00
Mail-in Rebates: -$35.00
Shipping: $5.92
Total: $2663.19

I know very little about building a PC so any help/critique is appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew