Do these specs look good for a good gaming PC (first build)?

kitti39648

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Hey, I'm not much a hardcore gamer--at least not for the PC, but I do want to become one. I mainly want a gaming pc that can handle the Sims 3 and the Sims 4 when it comes out (cause that' what I mostly play), Skyrim, and be able to play most modern games on it like COD, Battlefield, GTA, Far Cry 3, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, etc.

I know which processor, graphics card, and how much memory I want. But it is other things that I'm not sure about nor know what I should be getting like the motherboard or cooling system or which tower case to get. So here's something I came up with, does it look good?

I would love to have a PC that has a good cooling system and wouldn't overheat cause I can plays games for up to 8hours straight at a time. The pc currently cost 937usd with shipping, 862usd without. I'm planning to buy it from Ibuypower or cyberpower pc. I also plan to get a ASUS LED Monitor to go with it. I have little over 1,000 dollar budget, so if I can get any of parts for cheaper while not compromising the pc's performance, that would be great. Thank you in advance.

Gamer Paladin D827 1 x Case ( NZXT Phantom 410 Gaming Case - Black )
0 x Case Lighting ( None )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-3570 Processor (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache) )
0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [Intel] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade )
1 x Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 - 1GB )
1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )
1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3 -- 4x USB 3.0 )
0 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( None )
1 x Power Supply ( 650 Watt -- NZXT HALE82N-SI / 80+ Bronze )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )
0 x Meter Display ( None )
1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )
1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard )
1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Precision Gaming Mouse - Midnight Black )
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
1 x Speaker System ( Logitech S120 2.0 Speaker System )
1 x Wireless Network Adapter ( ASUS USB-N13 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 300Mbps Wireless USB Adapter )
0 x Video Camera ( None )
0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )

Socalsfinest08

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Great build! Your cpu cooler though is a bit meh though. Try looking at the corsair series of liquid coolers they have a great reputation. When are you going to purchase the computer? Also do you want a big case so you can fit a lot of stuff in it?

This build needs some serious work.

Drop the CPU to something like he fx6300. This will give you money to spend on a better GPU. At 1080p the gtx 650 will play at low settings.

You want to try to get a 7870/ gtx660.

Gaming is 85% GPU and 15% CPU.

Don't get a closed loop liquid cooler. They are loud and not any better at cooling than an air cooler. The coolermaster hyper 212 evo is a MUCH better choice.

Socalsfinest08

Honorable
May 12, 2013

With a closed loop cpu cooler you could overclock better and have lower cpu temps though and with some good fans like to noctua its preety quiete.

The coolermaster hyper 212 will be quieter with stock fans and keep the CPU cool just fine while overclocked. It is the most recommended cooler on this forum. Generally these closed loop coolers are for show. They aren't any better than a good air cooler. In fact that are all trumped by the Noctua NH-D14. It will cool better than all closed loop coolers. Still quieter.

There is no reason to buy a closed loop cooler over an air cooler except for looks.

Liquid cooling is only better if you build a complete custom loop. Closed loop coolers are expensive noise makers.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Just to reiterate what tiny said, closed loop coolers are kind of a waste. Unless it's a situation in which you're doing something that truly necessitates water cooling and you're customizing it yourself with a triple radiator, water block, etc. it's not a very smart purchase. Good air coolers will equal or beat these little water cooling kits.

Also, look for a different PSU - Hardware Secrets had that PSU failing pretty much all the tests once they pushed it past 35 degrees. There are plenty of other PSUs out there from Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, XFC, PCP&C, etc. that won't abandon protection from noise and voltage regulation whey they get a little hot.

You have a Z motherboard paired with a non-K CPU. Either change the motherboard to an H motherboard and possibly step back to an 3470 or get the 3570k.

If you can, use any savings to bump up your GPU. A vanilla GTX650 is a very modest card at this point, probably entry-level now.

kitti39648

Honorable
May 18, 2013
Thanks for the help guys, I'll look more into it and your suggestions.
@Socalsfinest08: I plan on buying it within the next month or so.

Socalsfinest08

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Well next month intel is comming out with new processors (haswell) and nvidia is coming out with the 700 seires of gpus so I would recommend you wait till mid June because prices are going to go down or you can get the new processor and gpu when the come out