Sign in with
Your question

Using An SSD As Recording + Storage, Not Boot.

Last response: in Storage
May 18, 2013 6:41:13 PM

Hi,

My question is about recording screen footage. I currently have a Seagate Momentus XT as my drive to record too. Its just about fast enough but often the footage has laggy parts in when I watch it back.

My solution is to buy a 128GB SSD to record too, then copy these files to my primary storage.

Would this work? I would be constantly pretty much filling the SSD and copying everything over too the primary storage, and worry this would not work as I imagine.

Any advice would be great.
a c 122 G Storage
May 18, 2013 8:41:34 PM

You may want to read this post: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286809-32-recording-h...
Is the Seagate you are referring to a primary drive (same drive with OS on it) or a second storage drive? If it is the same drive the OS is stored on then that could be part of the problem and you may want to consider adding a second HDD for storage and record your videos there. Video files have a tendency, as you well know, to be quite large so you could eat up the space on a 128GB SSD in no time. Also keep in mind that you need to keep at least 20% of the SSD space free for optimal disk performance. From what I have read there is not a large difference between SSD and HDD performance relative to large files.
a c 99 G Storage
May 19, 2013 12:11:07 AM

I think you would be better off with a RAID0 HDD array rather than an SSD in this situation. Recording 1080p footage takes up a lot of capacity, and you get far better price/capacity with HDD's.
Get decent drives in RAID0, and you'l be rivaling an SSD's Sequential Write Performance, which is what matters when recording footage. SSD's are faster than HDD's mainly due to their Access Times and Random Read and Writes, which isnt what your going to be using in this situation.
Related resources
May 19, 2013 5:01:44 AM

kenrivers said:
You may want to read this post: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286809-32-recording-h...
Is the Seagate you are referring to a primary drive (same drive with OS on it) or a second storage drive? If it is the same drive the OS is stored on then that could be part of the problem and you may want to consider adding a second HDD for storage and record your videos there. Video files have a tendency, as you well know, to be quite large so you could eat up the space on a 128GB SSD in no time. Also keep in mind that you need to keep at least 20% of the SSD space free for optimal disk performance. From what I have read there is not a large difference between SSD and HDD performance relative to large files.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have looked over the topic you linked and it really helped to answer my question. Yes, the seagate is my primary drive so does contain my OS. This may be the reason im struggling to record too it.

Would you beable to advise me on a drive? Im looking at the Seagate STBV2000200 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 but after researching it I can only seem to find its write speed is around 80mbps which wouldn't really be enough.

I need 100mbps+ but don't really know what drive would be suitable.

Also, thanks for the reply manofchalk. I am going to look into raid0 set up now.
!