Where to begin with cpu cooling?

Hi,
I've just bought myself an AMD fx-8350, and I reached the point where I realized I have no idea where to begin with proper cooling. What kind of cooling is considered the most efficient: a heatsink or a CPU fan? I'm thinking I might just buy a CPU fan... but where should I look to find the proper size fan?
4 answers Last reply
More about begin cpu cooling
  1. Do you overclock? And if so, how far?
  2. Well, heatsinks and fans go together. No reasonably powerful CPU nowadays can get by with just a heatsink. It'll all depend on your climate and the amount of overclocking you're going to be doing. If a 'moderate' overclock is all you're going for, generally the Hyper 212 EVO will take care of it with minimal cost. Anything higher and you're looking for something like the Noctua NH-D14 or a closed loop water cooler.
  3. ksham said:
    Do you overclock? And if so, how far?

No, I havent tried that before, but I want to on the 8350.

Anonymous said:
    Well, heatsinks and fans go together. No reasonably powerful CPU nowadays can get by with just a heatsink. It'll all depend on your climate and the amount of overclocking you're going to be doing. If a 'moderate' overclock is all you're going for, generally the Hyper 212 EVO will take care of it with minimal cost. Anything higher and you're looking for something like the Noctua NH-D14 or a closed loop water cooler.

I think I would go for a moderate overclock on my CPU. Good to know the Hyper212 Evo is both, ill end up buying that. Thanks!
  4. Yes; the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is more than sufficient if you're not going to overclock. It will also be quieter than the stock cooler.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling AMD