Sign in with
Your question

What is Better? FOUR AMD Radeon HD 7950's OR TWO Nvidea GTX 780's?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

GTX 780 (two) OR AMD Radeon HD 7950 (four)

Total: 14 votes

• Four Radeon HD 7950
  • 15 %
  • Two GTX 780
  • 72 %
  • Doesn't matter
  • 15 %
May 18, 2013 8:22:25 PM

Title says all!
Here's my build so far(feel free to comment on anything else you notice):
CPU: Haswell (free)

GPU: Help me!
Case: Cooler Master Haf X w/ SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ($180)

Motherboard (modify for extra RAM and other things) : ASUS Maximus VI Extreme (when it comes out) ( expected pricing : $350)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" Class Widescreen PLS LED Monitor - 2560 x 1440, 16:9, 80000000:1, 5ms, HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, Energy Star ($650)
SSD : SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (TWO) ( $500)
Power Supply: Seasonic PLATINUM-1000 ATX 1000 Power Supply ( $230)

Keyboard and Mouse: Microsoft Wireless Media Desktop 1000 kit ($50)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (24 gb total) ($210)

Operating system: Windows 8 (free)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme Dual Fan Universal CPU Heatsink ($100)

Thermal Compound Paste: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM ($10)
HDMI: AmazonBasics 2-Pack, High-Speed HDMI Cables 6.5 feet -- Supports Ethernet, 3D, and Audio Return [Newest Standard] ($10)

HDMI to DVI: AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable (9.8 Feet/3.0 Meters)

TP-LINK TL-WN951N Wireless N300 Advanced PCI Adapter, 300Mbps, w/WPS Button, IEEE 802.1b/g/n, WEP, WPA/WPA2 ($33)

Mediabridge Networking Cat5e Patch Cable - (15 Feet) - Red RJ45 Computer Patch Cord ($6)

IC Diamond 24 Carat Thermal Compound - 4.8 gram

a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2013 8:26:50 PM

We don't even know what the 780 is yet so this is a stupid question.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2013 9:01:21 PM

OH, I didn't know that. I still don't think I can draw a conclusion with just the specs. It's different architecture, so the scaling might not be direct, we need to wait to see actual benchmarks. I honestly think 2 780s would make more sense because it would be way more energy efficient.
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2013 9:48:03 PM

I don't know which one will be stronger at this point. If I had to take a wild guess, it would probably be 4 7950s. The titan is 30 percent stronger than a 7970ghz. I am guessing the 780 will be 10-15% stronger. The 7970ghz looks about 15-20% stronger than a 7950. So assuming all of this is scales directly, it would probably be 20-30% with one. Then two vs two it would be 40-60% so 4 should be stronger than 2. This is all an educated guess, but we won't know about how strong it truly based just on the specs. I'd need to see benchmarks first.
May 19, 2013 9:18:42 AM

Dude, we don't know about the 780, so why are you asking? If you would wait, we could help you, but not now. We can't conclude anything from specs, and we don't know about scaling, and other things, and why dont you get x4 7970s as they would have better performance, or even find two used Ares IIs and Crossfire them, there is a lot more options that are probably better, and again, you could also get the 790, or 760 Quad SLI for just as good performance for the same price probably.
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2013 9:50:10 AM

780=weaker titan with titan arhitecture.
7950=broken cf=microsuttering

Answer:
Quad 7950 will give you more tehnical frames, but at dual 780s it will look like more frames (beacuse SLI is actually working).

Conclusion:
Go with dual 780s.

Hope it helps!
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2013 4:44:13 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't adding more than two cards in cfx resolve some of the micrstuttering issues? Also, I thought 7000 series cf issues were resolved. I'm not going for either option. I don't think that you should get anything stronger than a single 780 in all honesty.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 19, 2013 6:05:41 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't adding more than two cards in cfx resolve some of the micrstuttering issues? Also, I thought 7000 series cf issues were resolved. I'm not going for either option. I don't think that you should get anything stronger than a single 780 in all honesty.

No CrossfireX issue was resolved, but it is being worked on. They have a prototype driver in the works, but it is not available yet. When it is, we'll have to see how it does. Currently it is an improvement, but still not as good as SLI in terms of smoothness.
www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benc...

3 way and 4 way CrossfireX doesn't directly fix the issue. THG did one test done on one 1 game, and the wrong conclusion was made. What happens is if the CPU becomes a bottleneck, more even spacing occurs. This is more likely with 3 and 4 way Crossfire, but not a guaranty, and other issues occur with 3 and 4 way Crossfire/SLI. (there was a recent review that tested it, but I cannot find it atm, if I do, I'll add it here).
May 19, 2013 6:08:30 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
I don't know which one will be stronger at this point. If I had to take a wild guess, it would probably be 4 7950s. The titan is 30 percent stronger than a 7970ghz. I am guessing the 780 will be 10-15% stronger. The 7970ghz looks about 15-20% stronger than a 7950. So assuming all of this is scales directly, it would probably be 20-30% with one. Then two vs two it would be 40-60% so 4 should be stronger than 2. This is all an educated guess, but we won't know about how strong it truly based just on the specs. I'd need to see benchmarks first.

bystander said:
lt_dan_zsu said:

No CrossfireX issue was resolved, but it is being worked on. They have a prototype driver in the works, but it is not available yet. When it is, we'll have to see how it does. Currently it is an improvement, but still not as good as SLI in terms of smoothness.
www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benc...

3 way and 4 way CrossfireX doesn't directly fix the issue. There was one test done on one 1 game, and the wrong conclusion was made. What happens is if the CPU becomes a bottleneck, more even spacing occurs. This is more likely with 3 and 4 way Crossfire, but not a guaranty, and other issues occur with 3 and 4 way Crossfire/SLI. (there was a recent review that tested it, but I cannot find it atm, if I do, I'll add it here).

Actually, what happens in microstuttering is the GPUs produce frames at the same time then low. There is a much lower probability of that happening with 3 GPUs and then even less with 4 GPUs.
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2013 6:34:36 PM

At sixsamuri, That's what I thought it was. I would like to ask the OP, what he feels he needs 4 7950's or 2 780's for. That is going to be a waste. I would get maybe 1 780 or 2 7950's, then get more later once the price goes down and you won't be able to max out every game.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 19, 2013 6:42:01 PM

sixsamuraisoldier said:
Actually, what happens in microstuttering is the GPUs produce frames at the same time then low. There is a much lower probability of that happening with 3 GPUs and then even less with 4 GPUs.

How is it less probable? AMD does nothing to space out frames, it is just random where they land. The variance will still be there. Though at such high FPS, you are more likely to bottleneck the CPU, which can space things out, and the variance at high FPS may not be as noticeable either.

a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2013 6:43:11 PM

Dude the card isnt out much less benchmarked. Specs mean nothing at all nowadays. Just wait till it comes out. Its supposed to in a few weeks. Dont take this wrong but that is a stupid question
May 19, 2013 9:31:35 PM

bystander said:
sixsamuraisoldier said:

How is it less probable? AMD does nothing to space out frames, it is just random where they land. The variance will still be there. Though at such high FPS, you are more likely to bottleneck the CPU, which can space things out, and the variance at high FPS may not be as noticeable either.

Exactly what i mean, there's more of a chance that the frames produced by each GPU will be spaced out.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a c 216 U Graphics card
May 19, 2013 10:07:03 PM

sixsamuraisoldier said:
Exactly what i mean, there's more of a chance that the frames produced by each GPU will be spaced out.

The distinction I am trying to make is that Crossfire does not improve with multiple cards. It is other factors that change when you reach a bottleneck with extreme FPS. With an 3-5 monitor Eyefinity setup, the resolution would counteract those factors.
!