SSD not re-imaging window7

s0crates

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
My wife has a Toshiba Satellite and I am replacing her HDD with a Mushkin 120gb SSD. I shrunk the HDD partition to about 50gb and put it on an external USB and created the recover disk. Then I popped the new SSD into the Toshiba and got it rolling. The BIOS recognize the SSD but I got an 0x80042412 error saying that the system could not re-image because the disk was not found.

I used the command prompt, DISKPART sees the SSD, I formatted and set it up there: disk list shows 111gb free on partition 1, ntfs, offset 1024. Active

I tried the re-image again and I am still getting the same error.

I have been reading and trying to figure this out for about 2 hours now with the same result. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I'm doing everything right but who knows.

Is the new partition an active partition? If not, that could be part of the problem. This link may have an answer for you regarding the error code: http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/65205-re-image-system-disk-fails-error-0x80042412.html
Did you create a disk image or simply copy the partition to the USB drive? If you have the original disk you could try cloning the disk to the new SSD. A clean install of the OS is most often recommended as being better than cloning the drive. If you don't have the OS disc then cloning may be another option. I have cloned drives on at least three computers and have never had any problems. Did the drive come with any cloning or data migration software?

s0crates

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

I created a disk image of the partition. No cloning software came the SSD. I would like to avoid a clean install if possible. I set the partition as active in DISKPART so I am completely lost.

s0crates

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

I used the win7 system image tool. I had no idea this was going to be such a hassle. I thought it would be a quick afternoon job. Tomorrow, I am going to try to clone the HDD using Partion Magic or clonezilla.