Upgrading 3 year old system on a budget! specs inside.

Pick all parts to upgrade having $300 max budget in mind

• mobo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cpu

• ram

• gpu

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • psu

• ram + cpu only

• cpu + gpu only

• wait another year and buy a new system alltogether

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Klimentiy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I am looking to spend about $200-300 to upgrade my old system to last me another year or two. I use it mainly for web, movies, gaming. I've been running current OC's for about two years now.

MSI 870-g45 (770 chip AM3 socket)
GTX 460 768mb (OC'd 860MHz 2200 mem)
Ripjaws 2x2GB 1600 9clock (OC'd 8-8-8-24-1t)
Phenom II 555 (OC'd 3.7Ghz)
OCZ 600 watt PSU

I was thinking getting a quad core phenom and new RAM sticks 4Gb each or adding 2 more 2Gb ripjaws.

Here is a link to my mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130290

Thanks! :)

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
I'd probably say you can up the ram now, because it doesn't matter when that happens, and wait for the steamroller cpu's to come out. I wouldn't move from one phenom II to another at this point. Apparently new graphics cards might be coming out about the same time later in the year as steamroller, so even if your target is used from ebay better deals will be had then.

Klimentiy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

Thanks for reply my friend. Could you please tell me more about new cpu, gpu? when to expect these to come out and what price range are these going to be? also what socket? i am assuming i will need new mobo

Haswell, Intel's next architecture, comes out in about two weeks on LGA1150 (new).

Steamroller, next from AMD, is a few months away, but will continue to use AM3+, but it looks like no FX CPUs are on your mobo's support list.

I recommend a new GPU now, (though it may be a bit bottlenecked), and a new MB/CPU/maybe RAM in a few months. Sort of a difficult balancing act. I'd say wait for prices to settle after Haswell, then buy. Hopefully you will be some way to the new system fund by then.

Also, I'm not sure what the deal is with locked cores - I know you can turn some three core CPUs into four, but I'm not sure if twos are crippled fours. Have you tried that?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
That two is a crippled four. It depends on if it really was disfunctional or just had them disabled to fill demand. It also depends on the motherboard. I've never been able to test my 720 x3 black edition because the motherboard it is in doesn't support doing that.

Supposedly sometime in the fall to winter for both of amd's new stuff. I think that time frame for the cpus is more certain than it is for the gpus, IIRC the gpu stuff is closer to being rumors. I've even read some places that they're skipping to the 9xxx, and other places saying that they're definitely going to go ahead and use 8xxx.

An SSD could be gotten at any time really. The samsung 840's are good.