A Cooling Solution for my i5-3570k

Which CPU Fan should I buy for 4.2-4.5GHz?

• Cooler Master V8 CPU Fan ($68.99)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler ($39.97)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another choice that you will list in the answers :D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ArjunCheema

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Hey there!

I just bought an i5-3570k, and simply placed the stock cooler on it, but I have not turned the computer on yet, so I can easily remove the fan if I want.

It is sitting on my ASUS P8Z77-V LX.

I was reading (many) things about the whole AutoTune thing, through the ASUS BIOS. I wanted to know if you guys suggest overclocking, or AutoTuning for this matter. I know that the stock cooler is nothing, so if you do think that overclocking would be a good thing, which I think it is, please let me know!

Aside from simply overclocking or AutoTuning, what CPU fan should I use? I was thinking upon buying the Cooler Master V8, I think that it would be good. If you think that this fan would be good for overclocking to about 4.2-4.5GHz, just let me know. I have a Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Case, it is an XL-ATX case and it would be no problem for a large fan.

I know that this is a lot to ask, but if you can answer my questions, I would be very grateful.

Best regards,
Arjun.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you've never O/Ced before, why not run the PC with the stock cooler for a bit at stock speed to get a feel for what it needs. There's nothing wrong with the stock cooler at stock speeds. And it doesn't matter if you have turned on the PC yet. Why would you hesitate to do that?

ArjunCheema

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I haven't turned the PC on yet because I don't have the GPU. I wanted to get a better cooler just because if I wanted to OC, I could. Do you think that the Cooler Master V8 is a good cooler even IF I had to OC?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, that's a great cooler, if you have the room. Why not head over to Frosty Tech and check out the reviews. It's one of the premier sites for PC cooler testing and reviews.
http://www.frostytech.com/

fr0stsp1re

Honorable
May 21, 2013
By all means if you can get the biggest best cooler you can get your hands on. Overclocking is about shedding off the heat. You will have better success with cooling that can handle large doses of heat.

I personally have switched to water but that is not for everyone. While debatable, water tends to yield higher clock speeds over air cooling IMO. Then again YMMV.

catshannon

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Water cooling is far better on high load but don't bother unless you get a twin Rad like a h100 or h100i or h110 or h220.
High end Air coolers are superior to single rad coolers

ArjunCheema

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Thanks, guys! Sorry for the late response, by the way.

I was looking at the Hyper 212 EVO as many of you know of, and just had a few general questions about overclocking.

What would you guys suggest before I go through my endeavors of OC? If I run a Hyper 212 EVO on my i5-3570k, what's the highest range I can go to? 4.3GHz, 4.4GHz?

Can you guys give me some software ideas, or a tutorial on how to overclock using an ASUS BIOS? If not, I can find one on my own :)

Best regards,
Arjun.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You can probably get a good O/C simply by raising the Multiplier alone. But when you begin touching the voltage and other tweaks, you need to be sure your MB can handle the stress. I'm not familiar with that particular MB, but it doesn't look like it was designed for heavy overclocking. For example: there are no heat syncs on the voltage reguators, and it is only 4 + 1 + 1 Phase Power. So go easy. Check with the Overclock section of the forum for more info.