Converting Removable 3.5" USB-2 HDD as Internal HDD

xibalban

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
Hello,

I have a Seagate USB-2 HDD of 1-TB capacity. It is powered by an external power adapter. Now, since it always remains on my desk, I'd like to convert it into a permanent internal HDD. I have a NZXT H2 Silent case:

Link to my Seagate external HDD
The Case

I feel that this must be possible, and I think it involves the following:

• ■ Finding ways to power the HDD using my Seasonic 650 PSU
    ■ Finding ways to connect the HDD directly to the motherboard via USB

I don't mind opening the drive up and messing with its internal connections/soldering etc.

Hoping that at least one goodfella may respond, or shoot some advice. Thanks.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It may be much simpler than you fear. MOST external HDD's actually contain inside a standard desktop-style SATA HDD unit. That is, it has the same power and data connectors as a 3½" desktop internal HDD, and the same physical dimensions so you can mount it internally. Once you open up the external unit you can inspect it and see for sure. The HDD is likely just plugged into connectors inside, and maybe screwed down.

You realize, I assume, that doing this will void any warranty on the drive unit.

I also strongly recommend if you do this, try hard to open the case carefully so that, if something does not work out, you can reconnect things and close it up, and continue to use the external drive.

xibalban

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012

Thanks for the response, I get it. My next concern would be finding out (without opening the case i.e.), whether the HDD is an SCSI/IDE or SATA type. Anyone know about the device in subject, the link to the device may be found in the original post.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sorry, I could not find that info. The Seagate website does not have much to say, and in fact I would not expect them to tell us what they put inside one of their external drive units.

IF it is not hard to open the case, you will be able to tell immediately which drive type is inside. A SATA drive has two connectors - one with 7 connections for the data cable, and another with 15 connections for power - each looking like contacts on the edge of a printed circuit board. An IDE drive has a power connector with 4 pins in a straight line, plus a 2" wide data connector with 2 rows of 20 pins each. Each type may have a small group of pins for jumpers.

xibalban

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012

Thanks for the effort, I myself tried hard at finding the "specifications" of the same, without luck.
Also, thanks for the rest of the information (albeit I already knew that part), very useful for visitors to this thread.