How to Determine if CPU is making contact with the socket Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairykiore

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hi ..I have recently acquired a used P7P55D-E LX Asus 1156 LGA MB (it will not POST but CPU Fan powers up for 2 seconds and stops for 2 seconds and continually repeats this..) It seems that this happens with a CPU/Socket problem ..On visual inspection (although its difficult to tell ) I feel the CPU socket pins look compressed/flattened so I wonder if the CPU contact pads are actually making contact with the socket Pins....
Does anybody know of a way to actually diagnose this ? Thankyou Hk

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

Hi
I have`t seen such problem - even with the previous sockets.
I`m thinking of unsupported CPU or you current BIOS ver. i lower than needed - check you CPU is supported : http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55DE_LX/#support_CPU
You can try adding lower CPU ( supported list ) and upgrading the BIOS to the latest ver.
Then you can try back you CPU.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
Although Nikolay's suggestion is what I'll start the troubleshooting with, the signs displayed by your motherboard seem to indicate a corrupt/Badly flashed BIOS. Modern boards display/beep the message "non supported cpu" if such is the case but I do not know if your mobo has that function. If the cpu is not contacting the grid array, then you should hear a post beep error code for "cpu not detected".

A corrupt BIOS is rather difficult to troubleshoot and usually an RMA is required. But like I said, I'd go ahead with Nikolay's suggestion and see if it works.

Have you connected the 4 pin cpu power pin?

hairykiore

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Actually we are getting away from the question I asked which seems to happen everytime I seek an answer on a forum which is strange unless that is the way forums work....I am not in the northern hemisphere but was working on the test of the M/B with an excellent Technician from North America via Skype so I can assure everything possible was done within the knowlege on hand...and my post re the CPU contacting the grid array was done as a last ditch effort seeking knowledge by for myself ...The board itself is now going back to where it came from simply because it was supposed to be in "working" condition and I could only carry out basic tests on it and flashing a bios certainly was not on ...I was not getting the beeps one normally would so that gave me no help...if there is a post beep error for "CPU not detected " well that seems that I have had my question answered and I thankyou for your responses.. Hk

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished
:)
We could be more efficient if you just posted some useful info you know ......
Example :
I have CPU Intel i3 3220
I have Mobo P7P55D-E LX Asus
I have problem - NO POST after power ON and some details etc.
I have tried everything - cables , other CPU , this CPU is working on other Mobo , PSU and etc.
Could be a possible socket misscontact to the CPU ?

I read a lot info you give but i miss what is you CPU after ALL ............... is it in the supported list ?
Simple as been :)
Cya

hairykiore

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I explained my situation and asked a question. I have been through all this so many times on forums I wonder if I should just try and work things out myself ...I mean basic questions like is the CPU compatable and have you the 4 pin CPU power plugged in (actually I havn't because its an 8 pin) upset me but of course the CPU is on the supported list although offhand I cannot give you the exact model i3 it is.( I can later though).Maybe I should have explained that initiallyI did a bench test which failed so I removed my Gigabyte board from my working PC and installed the Asus with the i3,Heatsink,fan unit from the Gigabyte and plugged in one stick of ram in the appropriate slot while online with webcam and Skype with my tech friend in the northern hemisphere showing him every move I made....So the problem was the M/B.....Interestingly this M/B has a Mem Button on it...what it exactly does I am not sure but it never showed up LED lights as it explained in the manual ...but what it did do was when the button was pushed down the CPU fan went without stopping...once the button was released the fan returned to off and on repeat mode...So what that may signify who knows?? I would think only an Asus expert.. which neither I or my friend is..Thanks

twelve25

Distinguished

People are more concerned with actually helping you solve the problem than just answering a question that may or may not be the right one to ask.

The simple answer to your question is that no there is not a way to tell if the CPU is making contact with every pin.

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

Now we can speak ......

Ok since it` supported CPU since BIOS ver 0201 or 1208 can you tell :

You current BIOS ver ?
Can you or could you test you Intel i3 530 CPU on other Mobo ?
Can you or have you tested other CPU on you Mobo ?

hairykiore

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Well thinking overnight I now realise there is a way ??? Hk

hairykiore

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Nikolay...The previous owner of the MB has basicly offered me my money back if returned...so I need to do this and I cannot do anything to the bios as he requires it to be returned in the same condition he sold it in ?? (whatever that was) So my hands are tied..
Now I thought the CPU was the heart ...if it is not beating there is no way to get to the bios...Re the CPU ..as I have already explained I had every component on a working computer ...all I changed was the motherboard ....??? and had a non working computer??
I have just replied to a previous post re I think there is a way that one can check socket pins ...I thought of it overnight and I have a M/B I can try my idea on it...Hk

Status
Not open for further replies.