Monitor suggestions for READING TEXT (IPS panel)

patates

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Hello,

Because I'm a programmer, I spend my whole day reading documents and codes. Could you recommend me some quality monitors for reading purpose?

What I'm looking for:
-A monitor that doesn't hurt my eyes.
-Suitable for reading whole day from miscellaneous websites.
-Appropriate for sensitive eyes.
-Good quality of displaying graphics and colors.
-23"~, below $350

I don't play games, rarely watch movies. My Samsung 932B is hurting my eyes, and I can read books without any problem on my iPad 2, which has a IPS panel. So I'm thinking of buying a monitor with an IPS panel. I couldn't find any monitor recommendation for reading purpose so I'm asking here. I really need a monitor suitable for my eyes so I am waiting for your monitor recommendations.

Thanks

adycopilu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi,

IPS panels are very good indeed. I personally plan to buy one myself, but at 21.5" (same resolution -> smaller pixel size -> maybe it's better for the eye?).

One thing you should know is that many brands use the same OEM panel, and most of the time it's LG, the largest supplier of IPS panels in the world. That's why I would recommend some LG, the model 23EA63V-P. There are also other brands, like Philips, Acer, AOC, HP or Dell. I would cross out Dell from the list because it has a glossy screen, which will reflect almost everything around you and the image will be harder to see in high lighting conditions (so, again, it can put extra stress on your eyes). Samsung does not manufacture IPS monitors, as they have their own technology, called Super-PLS (much more expensive).

Other than that, I don't have other suggestion. Just go in the shop, check the image from several IPS panels and go with whichever fancies you the most. For me, it will be LG, but let me know what you choose, maybe I will change my mind ;)

I have the same problem, and use a Chrome plugin called Sunglasses (it just applies some extra CSS when rendering webpages to tint everything darker). Obviously reducing monitor brightness can really help in general. If you want to avoid long term damage to your eyesight, it's really important to take frequent breaks, maybe go for a walk around your office/house/whatever. Important thing is to focus at a variety of distances (like you would normally when not staring at a monitor).

adycopilu's advice about checking out models in person is a good recommendation. Samsung's PLS panels can actually be found surprisingly cheap now provided you're not after a large screen like a 27"er. For your 23" panel, you could get a PLS well within your budget.