Samsung 840 ssd in Dell Studio 1747

peroxwhygen

Honorable
May 20, 2013
Hi guys, quick question. My housemate who has a dell laptop (lower model, less powerful than mine) upgraded to the samsung 830 ssd and his performance has skyrocketed!!! His windows boots in 10 seconds.

I followed suite and upgraded to the samsung 840 ssd but my laptop isnt seeing the performance boost his has. My boots is atleast 30 seconds and my games don't load anywhere near as quickly as his. I'm not sure why as my laptop is much more powerful than his. Any Suggestions on why this might be?

Im on a Dell studio 1747
Core i7 1.6ghz
4gig ram
250 gb ssd and 500 gb hdd installed

I've also noticed my frame rates in games has actually decreased since installing the ssd. Theres a little bit of heat under the keyboard, I installed speedfan which said the core temperatures where in the 70's not sure if theres a link between any of this,

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Sean.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Did you do a clean install of your OS or cloned it? Did you try boot time without the HDD? When HDD is connected during system installation sometimes the bootloader remains on the HDD, which affects the boot time.

peroxwhygen

Honorable
May 20, 2013
Hi mate thanks for your reply, I figured out the problem my laptop is sata 2 not sata 3 hence the slower speeds, though another problem has become apparent, since upgrading to the ssd the one computer game I play (league of legends) has unstable framerates, I'm not sure where to begin investigating this one! I may remove the ssd and install windows on my original hdd and see if things go back to normal