3D Monitor with AMD Video Card?

Marc54

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Hi,

I would like to buy a good 3d gaming monitor (1/2 ms) and I'm using this Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 7970 Vapor-X 3Gb. Do you guys know a good monitor for this?

Thanks a lot!

Given how long we hold onto monitors, it makes more sense to go with 3d Vision 2 and change out the video card. While HD3D and Tridef isn't all that far behind 3D Vision by themselves, 3D Vision has a mod community with a hack to fix 3D Vision games that will not work with HD3D. This not only fixes many games which force you to turn off shadows and other pretty important effects, it opens up the door to games which normally are a completely mess in 3D.
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

So if you are serious about going into 3D, you are much better off selling the 7970 and getting an Nvidia card. Otherwise you'll be stuck with that monitor for some time, and forced to continue to use HD3D for 3d, which all in all, is quite far behind 3d Vision.

If you don't care about being limited, look at the Samsung 700, 750 and 950 lines.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001474
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001473

You may find it hard to find them in stock. They may also have some new monitors too. Look up Samsung 120hz monitors and make sure they are HD3D compatible.

Marc54

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Thanks for replying. What video card would you suggest for 3D and High performance for gaming/recording?
This is my setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA 1155
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 3570K
Processor Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB STBD2000201
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5"
+ OCZ SSD 3.5" Adaptor Bracket 2
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Power Supply: Corsair HX750
DVD Burner: Lite-On IHAS124-04

3D will almost cut your FPS in half. So basically get the best setup you can. A single 670 will get you medium-high settings, 670 SLI will get you high to ultra settings. Though, in 3D, a few things can be turned down that you'd never miss. DoF is pointless, as it just tries to give a 3D effect that is already present by the nature of 3D. AA isn't as needed either, as you get 2 1080p images per frame.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I would like to add my take.. I have an amd card ( 2 actually in crossfire ( 5870's) and I was in the market for a new monitor.. and after spending 3 weeks looking I came across the Asus VG23AH. I was skeptical about the 3d and I also purchased teh tridef software ( I have a lazy eye so 3d does not work well for me except at certain distances where they work together ) I was pleasantly surprised with the passive 3d I experienced with it. ( not even using tridef 0 though when using tridef, it gave the image much more depth. I have tried it with 30 games so far, and it has worked just fine on all of them. I don't understand why ppl are knocking the amd 3d it works fine in my experience. ( this monitor uses passive 3d and has a hotkey with no performance hit as the monitor itself does the work ( line interlaced ) though you can use side by side I believe as well when using hdmi instead of dvi )

Out of the box, the end result is pretty similar for both systems...

The reason I knock HD3D is because when I first purchased my monitor, I was using 6950's. I could get HD3D through the HDMI port (all that was supported at the time. Displayport was added later). It looked pretty awesome in Crysis 2 and Metro 2033. Much better than I expected, which had me install some 470's I had in another system. It looked even better at 1080p.

Now, here is the dirty secret I've found in my experience and Nvidia has a built in tool in the Nvidia Control Panel with a list of compatibility; only about 20-30% of my games are fully 3D compatible out of the box. Most games that are reasonable require you to turn off shadows. Others may somewhat work and water effects are in 2D. And others have awful lighting issues.

Nvidia and AMD will recommend you turn those settings off, and then you may find 30-40% of the games out there will work, but losing shadows and see through water is kind of a deal breaker for me.

With the Helix mod, 3D Vision games can be fixed and there is an active community that has fixed a lot of games for us. They fix games that only have shadow issues, others with water issues, and light source issues. They have fixed a lot of games for us, and even gave a tool that can be used to fix a game yourself.

So instead of playing 20-30% of the games out there, with shadows off in half of them. I can play at least half the games out there if not more, and have all the effects work, though you are limited to Dx9.
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

Every time I hear about someone who has some new info on AMD's HD3D, I load up Tridef and my 6950's, and the same issues remains. HD3D, like 3D Vision out of the box, has lots of compatibility issues with most games. 3D Vision has a mod community that can fix many of those issues. HD3D has no such community or hack. Apparently the problem is with how the settings are applied within their engines as Skyrim has fixes for both systems, only that HD3D's version is incomplete siting issues with how they handle 3D settings.

In some games HD3D will work great, such as Tomb Raider, as it is built to handled 3D, but most games are not.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I have no issues with shadows adn can play skyrim on ultra ( without msaa ) and it looks great shadows and all. so idk see the issue you are experiencing.. ( currently using dvi ) bf3 is another that works just fine portal 2 is crazy in 3d..crysis 1 and 2, dungeon siege 3, divinity 2, nwn2, and both borderlands which are all fairly new games run just fine. to add: I am using the most current version of tridef.

Does the water look correct with your Skyrim setup? And is that the Steam copy? The original Skyrim, before the 1.4 or 1.5 patch, the shadows worked, after the 1.4 patch, the shadows didn't, but the water in every version was not correct from everything I've seen or heard. Maybe they changed the shadows again in a more recent patch? Again, how about the water?

Bf3 and Crysis 2 & 3 has built in support, so I'd expect it to work.

Crysis 1 does not work well, at least not the Dx10 version...did you run it in Dx9 or did you turn shadows off, or are you using some virtual 3D mode?

I'm thinking you may not be using stereoscopic 3D in some cases. I can say that I've used the most current Tridef drivers too, though some of the games I've played are not on your list.

Either way, I can say with certainty, you get better support between 3D vision and the Helix mod than you do with HD3D. I also have Tridef on my Nvidia setup (it works with both), I've used both.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I didn't list all the games I have used.. ( I have over 150 ) just wanted to give a sample. BF3 in game 3d does not work i have not tried to troubleshoot it. however it does work in tridef.. ( and the monitor itself has it's own 3d that does not require anything special from the gpu or software )

Also I have not turned off shadows in any game

I did search a bit on Skyrim and Tridef. At some point, they did come up with a fix through Tridef and the water problems. For 3d vision, I use helix mod which fixes it as well.

Anyways, this is a list of things most people who use both have noticed:
Tridef supports fewer games, but out of the box, does a slightly better job with anomalies.
3D Vision has the Helix mod which fixes those and more, ending up better in the end.
Tridef has higher overhead which seems to cause CPU bottlenecking issues.
3D Vision supports SLI, but not 3-way SLI.
This one I'm not sure on, but it appears Tridef doesn't support CF or SLI, but AMD did say they had added crossfire support. I assume this means it works on games that are natively supported, but not through Tridef?

Supported and well supported are two different things. The crossfire issue was probably the CPU bottlenecking that many were complaining about, due to the high overhead of Tridef. Oh, and did you test to see that 72 FPS was not possible with one 5870? Not all games are that demanding, especially with a passive system.

Here is about 750 games what work with 3D Vision: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-games.html
Though not all of those work great. They have different ratings to let you know how good or poor they are.

THG did a review on the two systems, and found them pretty equal out of the box on support. That said, the mod community pushes things over the edge for 3D Vision.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I agree supported and well supported are different things.. I am not trying to argue just add insight. i have found no issues with the games I play and for that i am happy. you also gave me info I was not aware of ( tridef working on nvidia gpus )

I bought the software a while back hoping to gain extra support. As it turns out, for the most part, I cannot see much difference. When a game isn't supported well by one, it isn't supported well by the other, so I haven't been using it much lately, as SLI doesn't work with it, or is very limited by the extra CPU overhead that it adds. I then found the Helix mod, and haven't used Tridef since, other than to test once in a while.

I got my Tridef copy 1.5 years ago, and I don't recall any discount at the time. The only deals I remember was from some Samsung monitors that came with it. I was using AMD 6950's at the time.

Btw, how do you like the passive setup, have you ever compared to active 3D? Also, what resolution does your allow, I've seen some passive TV's that still required you to drop to 720p for 60 hz...though I didn't expect that, and it might have be on a case by case basis. I've also heard that passive has no crosstalk, though maybe a little light bleed, but text is very blurry. So a little good and bad.

Cunnings

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

As you can see, these "Fixes" only use DX9, this means they are forcing you to use Forward-Rendering as everything there is set straight for conventional rendering techniques, which has bottlenecks and drawbacks performance-wise.

In differed rendering (DX10+) Translucency and Opaque objects (Water) and Indirect lighting (Shadow effects and light flickering) are always a pain, not only in 3D. This is mostly a part differed technology/part programming fault not the hardware designer. You see, those games are cheaper for a reason. I am a A+ game developer and always hear about these issues going back and forth with graphic programmers, game and level designers, and tester... all the time!

And yes, making everything work for AMD cards are harder because it follows the raw standards. It doesn't do things automatically because this is programmers job to be aware of those. Nvidia does many things like scheduling and fill some values automatically but when you need that extra oomph you will face hell.

It really does not matter whether or not it uses DX9 and loses performance, it has far better performance than using Tridef from my experience and it fixes the game so they look good. Ultimately that is what we are after when gaming in 3D.

I have used Tridef a bit as well, and the performance is pretty bad in many cases. Much worse than Nvidia 3D Vision. I'm told it is due to a huge CPU bottleneck, but I don't really care why, only that it isn't good.

Cunnings

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014

I see your point and you are right!