Tags:
  • Gaming
  • New Build
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Displays
May 20, 2013 6:58:42 AM

Hello everyone,

I am about to purchase a new gaming build (already sure on the parts, I5-3570k, hd 7970...) but i am a major noob concerning monitors. In my country there is no newegg, so i have only a limited choice from this site:

http://
(already narrowed it down to the possible screens)

I will be playing: Skyrim (modded), BF3, FC3, AC 2 and 3, Shogun 2 Total war (Darthmod), Rome 2 total war,...

I will be at about 2 feet from the screen.

Budget: 200 euros (more if there are strong arguments)

Resolution: 1080p

Thanks for any help :) 

More about : gaming monitor build inch

a b 4 Gaming
a c 82 C Monitor
May 20, 2013 7:07:28 AM

Are both displays 1920x1080 (1080p)? If so, the physical size of the display is not a concern. It is the same number of pixels on the 24 vs. 27 inch displays.

A 27-inch display at 2 feet away will be hard to watch (in my opinion). You should try to push it farther away or consider the 24-inch display. Really a comfort recommendation only.
m
l
May 20, 2013 7:13:47 AM

COLGeek said:
Are both displays 1920x1080 (1080p)? If so, the physical size of the display is not a concern. It is the same number of pixels on the 24 vs. 27 inch displays.

A 27-inch display at 2 feet away will be hard to watch (in my opinion). You should try to push it farther away or consider the 24-inch display. Really a comfort recommendation only.

This is the list of 24inch displays availble on the site : http://
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 82 C Monitor
May 20, 2013 7:16:59 AM

I prefer Samsung displays. Both the 24in and 23.6in displays on the main page (179 vs 159 euros) look like good choices.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
May 20, 2013 7:23:06 AM

I'd strongly recommend choosing an IPS or PLS type panel, something like:

http://www.monitorstore.be/product/299889/category-1810...

I'd highly recommend some VA panels (PVA), but others (AMVA) are no better quality than TN panels, so you're probably best sticking with IPS/PLS.
m
l
May 20, 2013 7:24:59 AM

See if you want to get the best display then you should consider an IPS one. w.r.t size of the screen what COLGeek said is correct. Considering both 24 and 27 are having same resolution u should decide based on your viewing distance. But quality wise the panels are as follows, IPS,VA and then TN. And as always you pay a premium for quality. IPS are the most expensive but hey are kinda slow, still they more than make up for it by giving you outstanding colour/brightness contrast and TN are very fast suitable for FPS games but they lose out on visual quality. So you have to decide first what is more important to you.
m
l
May 20, 2013 7:29:51 AM

fatboyslim said:
See if you want to get the best display then you should consider an IPS one. w.r.t size of the screen what COLGeek said is correct. Considering both 24 and 27 are having same resolution u should decide based on your viewing distance. But quality wise the panels are as follows, IPS,VA and then TN. And as always you pay a premium for quality. IPS are the most expensive but hey are kinda slow, still they more than make up for it by giving you outstanding colour/brightness contrast and TN are very fast suitable for FPS games but they lose out on visual quality. So you have to decide first what is more important to you.

Ok, wich one of the IPS should i pick?
m
l
May 20, 2013 7:34:23 AM

sam_p_lay said:
I'd strongly recommend choosing an IPS or PLS type panel, something like:

http://www.monitorstore.be/product/299889/category-1810...

I'd highly recommend some VA panels (PVA), but others (AMVA) are no better quality than TN panels, so you're probably best sticking with IPS/PLS.

Isn't 23 inch a bit small? Considering the fact that i am 2 feet away from the screen. And are PLS screens as good as IPS screens?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
May 20, 2013 9:03:50 AM

From the reviews I've read, PLS is pretty much identical. Of course Samsung say it's a superior/improved version of IPS, but appears the same to me. And 23" is almost the same as 24" - I've used both and you notice the difference for the first hour and then stop noticing :-)
m
l