Accidentally turned off laptop during an update, now it is just black.

angie loo

Honorable
May 20, 2013
My Toshiba Satellite L775 was stuck at 15% complete configuration of a service pack update, I set it aside to wait, and my two year old came over and pushed the power button. When I turn it back on, it just goes straight to a black screen. I tried turning it on and pressing F8, but nothing happens. Anyone know what I should do?

Hey! You just trying to make me feel good? I did the same thing a little while back and still feel pretty stupid; same results (the update was and IE8or9 update). Finally had to pull out my restore disk and start from scratch; ie reinstall Windows and all the drivers, applications etc.

If someone else knows a different way, jump right in here; but that was my experience and probably what you will have to do.
At least you can point to innocence cause kids don't know any better, I did it to myself.

6/6/13, 2115 hrs. PDT I may have jumped ahead of myself here. Sorry. When you reboot do you get the boot screen?
My thought is that if you can hit F8 just when Windows would boot you might be able to boot into 'safe' mode: From there you could go to system restore and restore back to before the update. I hope this works, good luck.

If you have a Windows 7 installation disk you can try a system repair. Insert the installation disk and restart the computer. You will need to change the boot order so that it will boot from a CD/DVD. Once you have rebooted, watch it carefully, as you will see "Press any key to boot from..." If you don't press a key the computer will attempt to start normally. Once you have booted from the Windows disc you should see a repair option.

Where'd you go? Did you get it working without a complete reinstall? What happened? Please let us know.

I've had three problems similar to this come to me for repair and choosing System Restore from the StartUp repair options has fixed it every time. Make sure you install the update after everything is back to normal.