Sign in with
Your question

Ram frequency, clock speeds, and mobo compatibility

Last response: in Memory
May 20, 2013 10:32:55 AM

I have a ddr2 motherboard that has 4x2GB sticks @ 1066mhz
is there a setting I need to change to make sure it is running in dual channel mode?

my mobo as it is is an old (old meaning like 2009) hp pavilion and when I opened up CPU-Z it says dram frequency is only at 400. Does this mean that even though my mobo is a DDR2 mobo it must be able to support the faster speeds? Did I buy 4 1066mhz sticks for no reason? And if so what is a good micro-ATX mobo that'll support DDR2 1066 ram speeds?
a b V Motherboard
a c 162 } Memory
May 20, 2013 11:20:41 AM

Hello opio,

Dual channel is a feature that comes in-built in a motherboard, if your motherboard is designed to support it then all you need to do is install the memory in identical pairs (same speed, size). As you have mentioned I believe you have installed in pairs but as I mentioned before if your Mobo supports the dual channel feature it will activate itself, there is no setting as far as I know.

If the CPU-Z is mentioning that the memory is running @ 400MHz, then either the speed is downclocked to 800MHz or you have DDR2 - 800 memory. Perhaps your mobo supports 1066MHz, but it may not be able to run at the max speed instead it downclocks. P.S - there are not many mobo which supports DDR2-1066MHz.

If you are looking for a new mobo then the best thing will be to look for a motherboard which supports DDR3 memory rather than DDR2. It is better to ditch or sell the DDR2 memory if you are convinced that you need a new mobo.

If you need any memory or info about memory then this site maybe able to answer all your queries. You can contact their live chat support - http://www.memorystock.com/

Regards.
May 20, 2013 12:39:56 PM

Ya after doing some researching I found out that it can only handle 400, even if it downclocks I can't up it to 800 because the mobo I have is locked. I was going to buy this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-130-...

but it's stupid, ya it looks cool cause it supports ddr2 and ddr3 (obviously not at the same time) but you can only have two sticks in at a time! I don't want to sell my ddr2 ram I just bought it and it was expensive. If anybody here knows of a micro atx mobo on newegg that even supports ddr2 800 let me know
!