"Old" Ivy or wait for new Haswell?

Bryan Choi

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
I'm going to be building a new computer soon and i realized that haswell will be out soon. the i7 at microcenter is going for 230 and i was wondering if i should go for it or the i5 haswell. moreover will there be any big sales on haswell when it comes out?

X79

Honorable
If you can wait, then wait. Older generation architectures will probably also

see a minor price-drop perhaps. So wait for it. Nvidia is releasing their new GPU

lineup as well. So if you want a new GPU, it's worth waiting too.

If your need for a rig isn't urgent, I reckon wait the two weeks for Haswell to release before building your rig. If previous Gen releases are any indication, Ivy Bridge chips wont go own in cost significantly in the wake of the new architecture, motherboards might though as retailers try to firesale all their now obsolete stock.

Meng2strong

Honorable
May 10, 2013

I have just ordered my rig a few days ago, is it worth canceling it and waiting out a few weeks for price drops or will they not be major ones? I think there is a cancellation charge of £30.

Bryan Choi

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
I know that the ivy will not have a significant price drop however the 3770k is on sale currently for 230 and im itching to get it but im not sure if itll be worth it over the 4770k.......

Meng2strong

Honorable
May 10, 2013

I cancelled mine because it's basically the same price on release, I am waiting because I am doing a build from ground up but I guess if you are upgrading then it isn't a bad option.