Faulty Ram - running memtest86

Matthew Brophy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Ok so today I powered up my PC to do some work.

After starting 3DS Max, my machine just restarted out of nowhere ancd persistently restarted and windows was hanging on startup, at the windows logo before I sign in. After trying to figure out the problem all day I managed to log on. I did some research and I think it so the ram so burnt ISO image of memtest86.

Booted machine as cdrom, its currently running memtest.

I have 6 sticks of ram all at 4 gig each. so 24 in total. Errors have been found. Been a few hours testing now and I dont know how long the test will take and which stick will be faulty?

does anyone know how to find my faulty stick?

Also how long does memtest86 take?

I have intel core i7 X 990 @3.47Ghz.

Thanks

X79

Honorable
Well, haha... Memtest will run until you stop it.

However you've been running it for a good amount of time.

Besides perhaps getting new RAM sticks, you can try reseating the RAM.

As in, playing around, pulling ones out and then testing to see if you find

any faults. Perhaps then you can narrow down the faulty stick.

You can also try reseating the other parts perhaps.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Ok Mat

I use memtest alot in my industry. There are 2 versions one has a short run scan that will complete in less then an hour normally, however it can run forever until you stop or restart the service. The best way i find to use memtest is by doing the following.

Put one dimm in at a time and run the memtest per each dimm you put in. Run the test for a minimum of an hour or so.
Please also bear in mind that the dimm sockets on the motherboard can miss read the memory calculations and memtest will pick this up as a memory error and not the boards fault. So be sure to change the dimm between your motherboards dimm module slots.

I hope this answers your questions. I have followed this post and will reply as soon as i hear back from you.

Matthew Brophy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I'm guessing dimm is the memory stick. Ok so with all 6 dimms in, I it tested for about 54 hours. It had 55000+ errors on pass 8 a couple on 7 9 and 10. I then tried what you by putting in the dimms individually but when I powered up the machine therewas nothing.. so I put 2 dimms in, the first 2 in a1 and a2 memory slots.. no errors. I then tried dimms 3 and 4 in a1 and a2 and no errors, then dimms 5 and 6 in a1 and a2.. same. No errors. I then realises that it says 12gig 3x4 on the men sticks so am bow testing dimms 1,2 and 3 in a1 a2 and b1. Any more suggestions please. Thanks for all your help guys

Matthew Brophy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Ok so Iv ran 5 sticks in a1, a2, b1, b2, c2.. I believe that c2 was not present on memtest. I think this is because both dimms need to be present to register? Is that correct.. No errors on a1,a2,b1,b2.. im really confused now, will try b1,b2 and c1,c2 tomorrow with a different combination.. any ideas guys?

Matthew Brophy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
ok so i ran the test with lots of different combinations and now nothing, i restarted the test with all sticks in but this time no errors..

Could a faulty psu be causing my system to restart on windows loading screen? allow overclockng failure which is sometimes present at startup..

Matthew Brophy

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

Hi threre, I am just going to rma the whole machine..