What will I need to switch my CPU w/heatsync.

Mrnix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013
The part I'm confused about is whether or not I will actually need thermal paste or not. My CPU has heatsync attached to it now and I'm about to get a new motherboard and will be transferring my CPU to the new motherboard, which is the MSI Z77A-G45 S1155. Should I remove the thermal paste from the heatsink and re-apply fresh paste, since it may be getting thin as the CPU and the heatsync has been in use for almost 2 years. So if I do need to re-apply thermal paste to the CPU, how do I remove the old paste if it's attached already, do I rip it off?? I included a link of what something that can remove old paste, and apply new. Also, Is there a certain method to apply thermal paste to my i7?
Thanks a lot in advance here as I can get my motherboard until I know what to do here :)

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/170809274788?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=63

well i dont think you'll need paste remover and purifier, but u should def replace the thermalpaste on the heatsink so u get the most heat transfer out of it, using the old paste will have worse temps than before it was removed and re applied. Are you replacing a aftermarket cooler or stock? because the cost to buy the good paste u might as well spend $15 more and get a overall new cooler that includes paste, but thats just me.

To remove the paste i just wipe the old off both the cpu and heatsink with a napkin, and then carefully clean the surface of both with rubbing alcohol and let it dry, and then apply paste, usually a pea size amount in the center on the cpus heatspreader is best

Mrnix

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2013

I'm going to be keeing the cooler that came with the compuer, my computer was originally pre-build by Dell but everything has been upgraded except the ram and heatsync and cpu.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370819815212?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
This is what I'm going to use when I reapply the paste. Lastly, how do I remove the heatsync from the cpu if there is paste already, do I just slowly wiggle it off? Thanks for the replies :) And in regards to the paste, shall I do the line shape which arctic silver recommend or just a circle? or shall i observe the way the paste is applied right now and do the same?