Need help building a new computer

iamatechnoob

Honorable
May 21, 2013
My previous desktop died on me and I would like build a decent gaming computer (cause its cheaper to build than buy) and would like some advice on whether the parts I choose are fine. My primary use would be gaming (average gamer), and perhaps some light video editing.

I am a noob with all these computer parts but after some research, have decided to get something like (open to suggestions):

CPU: i5-3470
Mobo: H77/Z77 chipset
GPU: GTX 650 Ti (minimum)
500 GB HDD, 64/128GB SSD
20-22" Monitor
PSU: not sure how much power supply I need but perhaps 550-625w (80+ Bronze) is enough?
Case: Not good with cases :/

I'm not too sure the difference for each part for individual retailers (e.g. AsRock, Gigabyte) but I see there are different variations for the same part so advice on which brand I should get will be a great help. Also those parts I named are just a rough idea so opinions on what I should switch them with are also welcome! (hopefully not too expensive compared to what I have picked as I am on a budget)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jake Dennis

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Hi here are my ideas:

CPU: i5-3570 you won't need the 3570k because you won't be overclocking. I think...
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 100355OCL and if you buy from newegg use this $20 of code EMCYTZT3464
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm
SSD: $80 SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 from newegg
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance clocked at 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair CX 500 or 500M for a cleaner look...if your case has a window
Case: It's really up to you but I love Corsair products so I like the 200R for a cheapish price and had USB 3.0
Monitor: Another great deal from newegg it;s a Hanns-G HE225DPB. Looks pretty good 1920x1080 and it has built in speakers.
Optical Drive: iHAS124-04 it reads and burns and from newegg $3 off with EMCYTZT3469

That is 900ish without tax and shipping hope I helped:)

Notes: If you are overclocking get the 3570k and a cooler master hyper 212 for light overclocking and for more advanced stuff Corsair h100i
I just chose that motherboard off the top of my head, but they have better/worse ones for what your needs are.
You can even go less on the PSU, but if you want any upgrades stay with 500+
Just made a PCPartpicker build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YKOa

iamatechnoob

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Wow thanks for the very detailed response! Just one problem, I live out of the states and newegg doesn't ship here :/
And no I don't think I will be overclocking, at least not in the near future, too noob and too poor to experiment yet. I heard that 3470 is the cheaper alternative to 3570 right? Do they have big performance differences?

Jake Dennis

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Nope. It won't affect your performance much. Maybe 2 fps

But you might as well as get it... since the socket is dead and you might want to get as much as you can without having to upgrade in the future. And I take back the motherboard. Just ASRock H77 Pro4 will be fine since you are not overclocking. And where do you live? If you live in Canada there is newegg Canada.

iamatechnoob

Honorable
May 21, 2013

In Singapore right now. Oh right, if I were to get Haswell (heard they should be roughly similar in price when launched yes? ), would there be any change to any particular parts?

Roughly 1000SGD, prices should be different here than in the States.

qewee

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
So It's $800
$800 Enthusiast System Components
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3: LGA 1155, Intel Z77 Express $90
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K: 3.4 GHz Base Clock Rate, 3.8 GHz Turbo Boost, 6 MB Shared L3 Cache $230
Heat Sink: Rosewill RCX-ZAIO-92 $15
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLE2KIT4GD31608DE1TX0: DDR3-1600 C8, 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) $53
Graphics: PowerColor PCS+ AX7870 Myst Edition 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E $240
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002, 500 GB, 7,200 RPM, SATA 6Gb/s $60
Optical: Samsung SH-224BB: DVD Burner $18
Case: Xigmatek Asgard II B/B $34
Power: Antec Neo Eco 520C: 520 W, ATX12V v2.3, 80 PLUS-Certified $55
Total Cost $795

Jake Dennis

Honorable
May 6, 2013
@qewee He doesn't need an z77 chipset because he is not overclocking and he would only need a 3570. And if noise is an issue buy the heatsink fan, but is noise is not an issue keep the intel stock fan that comes with the CPU.

iamatechnoob

Honorable
May 21, 2013

I can never understand how you pros remember and know which parts will go with which, there are tons out there! But thanks for the suggestion, I hope that the prices here wouldn't inflate too much (they usually are :( )

What's a heatsink for? To dissipate heat from the processors? Less heat = better performance + longer longevity of my computer right? I think I'll just get it if I'm not too much over my budget.

Cause I'm still a noob with all these computer-building and OCing, wouldn't want to spoil anything, I don't have a job yet lol :D

Panssarikauha

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I can never understand how you pros remember and know which parts will go with which, there are tons out there! But thanks for the suggestion, I hope that the prices here wouldn't inflate too much (they usually are :( )
The parts and memory come with enough reading and just learning up on things.. as for prices.. Dunno about Singapore :p
What's a heatsink for? To dissipate heat from the processors? Less heat = better performance + longer longevity of my computer right? I think I'll just get it if I'm not too much over my budget.
A heatsink is to, sink the heat out of components to put it blunt. They come on your graphics cards and CPU's most commonly and are often made of Copper & Aluminum to best transfer and dissipate heat. They are most often coupled with 1 or 2 fans to get the heat out of the sink itself. And ofcourse, cooler components = better lasting ones, but if you dont plan to overclock then that wont matter much. Still, an aftermarket cooler is usually better than the stock one that comes with the CPU in every way except size.
Cause I'm still a noob with all these computer-building and OCing, wouldn't want to spoil anything, I don't have a job yet lol :D
Neither do a lot of people here. Overclocking is (mostly) safe, there are many good programs that help with it, but as always, if you arent sure, then dont do it. If you are interested in increased performance in your hardware, read up on how to overclock. There are many good tutorials and guides out there.

Jake Dennis

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Sorry, I think you are confused what a heatsink is. A heatsink helps take away the heat from the processor so it gets cooler. I guess it sort of has a bad name now that I think about it. I was just thinking because the intel stock fan is alright, but it can be a lot quieter buying your own fan.

iamatechnoob

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Thanks for all the help!

Well, I am interested in OCing, but am afraid I'll screw something up and my new computer will go up in smoke (literally). Haha, but yeah I will try to read up more on OCing.