Be Quiet!, Fractal Design & Thermaltake Release List of Haswell Compatible PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Intel hasn't released any formal testing procedure or minimum qualifications.
So just what is "Haswell compatible"?
Seems like marketing fluff to me. Won't a regular 24 pin PSU with the latest standards work fine?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Seems like marketing fluff to me. Won't a regular 24 pin PSU with the latest standards work fine?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007

VirtualMark

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
BeQuiet are junk - my top of the line PSU failed after only a few weeks. It put out a high pitched whine. Absolute rubbish, I've never had one fail, let alone in a few days.

G

There was concern for power supplies supporting the sleep modes for Haswell.

"The new C6/C7 power states on the Haswell-Shark Bay platform will require the system power supply to be able to maintain a minimum current load of 0.05Amps on the CPU exclusive 12V2 rail (0.6W)."

Source

mrjhh

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007

I ran into a similar problem a few years ago when I got one of the first Intel processors with an integrated GPU. Without the load of a separate GPU, the PSU wouldn't even stay on for more than a few seconds until I connected an old disk to the power supply, just to add more power usage.

mmculber

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
From what I have read it looks like Haswell will support a couple new low power states (see link below) that not all power supplies will support. I'm not sure, however, if that means that your old PS won't work at all or will works but just won't be able to support the features enabled by the C6/C7 low power states. My guess would be the latter. I am hoping that someone can better clarify.
Hopefully the link below helps. Thanks.
http://techreport.com/news/24738/few-psus-support-haswell-c6-c7-low-power-states

G

This is the best answer I could find.

"According to Intel's presentation at IDF, the new Haswell processors enter a sleep state called C7 that can drop processor power usage as low as 0.05A. Even if the sleeping CPU is the only load on the +12V rail, most power supplies can handle a load this low. The potential problem comes up when there is still a substantial load on the power supply's non-primary rails (the +3.3V and +5V). If the load on these non-primary rails are above a certain threshold (which varies by PSU), the +12V can go out of spec (voltages greater than +12.6V). If the +12V is out of spec when the motherboard comes out of the sleep state, the PSU's protection may prevent the PSU from running and will cause the power supply to "latch off". This will require the user to cycle the power on their power supply using the power switch on the back of the unit."

Source

mmculber

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
This is the best answer I could find.

"According to Intel's presentation at IDF, the new Haswell processors enter a sleep state called C7 that can drop processor power usage as low as 0.05A. Even if the sleeping CPU is the only load on the +12V rail, most power supplies can handle a load this low. The potential problem comes up when there is still a substantial load on the power supply's non-primary rails (the +3.3V and +5V). If the load on these non-primary rails are above a certain threshold (which varies by PSU), the +12V can go out of spec (voltages greater than +12.6V). If the +12V is out of spec when the motherboard comes out of the sleep state, the PSU's protection may prevent the PSU from running and will cause the power supply to "latch off". This will require the user to cycle the power on their power supply using the power switch on the back of the unit."

Source[/quotemsg]

Thanks DJChangsta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS