Problem with the image on my monitor

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have a LG Flatron W2243S, which I run as a extended monitor. My OS is Windows 8 Enterprise Edition 64-bit and before that Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I've been using Windows 8 for a couple of months now and a problem has reemerged from back when I was still using Windows 7, just before I made the switch. Here is a picture I took with my cellphone of the same image being displayed by both my main and extended monitor.

This is main (the one with normal picture)
WP_000341_zps56fc9432.jpg

This is the LG extended one (with the not so normal picture)
WP_000339_zpsb3b6ba3c.jpg

If its not that obvious, the problem is that some parts of my screen has these pink pixels where they should be other colors. I'm not really sure about this, but it seems to occur on gradients, when for example a dark gray fades to become a lighter gray. Another thing that doesn't show on pictures is that these pink pixels are flickering, which just makes the whole thing a lot more annoying.

The picture was taken with a camera instead of PrtScn because it doesn't show up on PrtScn, so the problem must be the monitor and not the GPU. When I was still on Windows 7, upgrading to Windows 8 solved the problem but as you can see its back to haunt me. I don't know what's going on, neither do I know what this problem is called so not really sure how to research about it. I've tried setting the LG as the main monitor and that didn't help, and I don't want to re-install the OS if I don't need to.

Anyone here can give me a hint?
Has my monitor reached its life expectancy? (about 3-4 years)

Sorry for the long read, just thought that being as detailed as possible can help with coming up with an answer.

you say you have tried using windows to swap the primary monitor however have you tried physically swapping the cables?
-if the issue persists then you can rule out the cable. if the issue goes away then you have a bad cable.

have you tried hooking the monitor up to another source, ie computer, dvd player, etc?
-if the issue persists then its a bad monitor (or cable, so try both cables out before jumping to conclusions. if the issue goes away then it may have something to do with your pc.

have you tried physically swapping the monitor from one gpu output to the other?
-if the problem persists then it likely isnt a problem with the gpu. if the problem goes away or swaps to the other monitor then it may be a bad port on the gpu.

make sure your windows settings are the same resolution as the monitors native resolution and that your refresh rate matches as well. set everything to default and make sure any 3d modes are off. in general eliminate the variables. get the newest gpu drivers and have them installed as well.

try the tests out... but my first guesses would be a problem with the monitor or a bad cable.

respond with answers to all the tests (yes, they are all important)

EDIT:

i like the background.

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Did some testing as you said and back with results, although not the ones I wished for :(

My monitor only has a VGA input and my GPU only DVI, HDMI and Display Port.
1. I got a different VGA cable with VGA-to-DVI adapter and connected to my system, but problem still persists.
2. My GPU has two DVI inputs so I tried the other input; there was no change and the problem continues.
3. Tried plugging the monitor to two different computers, and the pink pixels go strong on both of them.
4. On one of my friend's computer I tried connecting directly to VGA instead of using a VGA-to-DVI adapter and no change.

Didn't try updating my drivers because I updated them not long ago (about a month) and the problem not being fixed even trying on different computers discouraged me. :(
Any other tests I should carry out? I'm guessing it's a pretty certain my monitor is reaching the end of its usefulness.

Thanks! Looked around a bit before finding it. ;)

i agree, everything points towards an issue with the monitor.

with the high cost of repair and rather low cost of TN panels you are most likely better off getting a new monitor to replace it.

i dont think drivers would help after the tests you ran.

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hey thanks for the help. It's still usable, just doesn't have the best picture. I'll just stick to it until I find a new replacement, just an extended monitor anyways.

Thanks for the help!

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Not sure why, but I can't pick you as the best answer, the option is just not there. Probably should have posted this thread as a question? Sorry about that, anyways thanks again.

correct. the only way to select a best answer is if you ask a question and click the box for question. the quick post auto defaults to a discussion i believe.

i would suggest a monitor as close to the original as you can.