Looking for game virtualization build, 400$ budget (CPU+RAM+Mobo)

wyder

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Hello,
i need to upgrade my PC for better virtualization:

- Virtual machines will be used for play game bots on WinXP, so it will load cpu significantly.
- I need to play as many virtual machines as possible.

Motherboard requirements:

- It MUST be mATX format - i will put in to my home-made case, which is designed for mATX max size.
- SATA3, USB 3.0
- Good OC capability
- one PCI slot

In case of core i5 build, Asus P8z77-M looks fine.
I have no types in case of AMD build...

In case of CPU, I vacillate between 8-core AMD FX-8320 and intel i5-3570k.
Intel looks quite good in tests, but despite much better per core performance, 8 physical cores is 8 physical cores, and seems to be better for virtualization even than intel hyper threading. AMD is also cheaper. Other cpu suggestions are welcome.

Please help me, make suggestions, and propose your builds.
Remember i need only CPU, RAM and motherboard, and have 400$ budget.

When i choose my platform i will make some tests and write results here.

Thanks,
Andrew.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah I would go for the AMD FX for this use. Its still decent enough for gaming, but the 8 cores will be useful for virtualization.

I would buy Windows 8 Pro and use Hyper-V. As much ram as you can afford (up to 32Gb).

wyder

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Thanks for response.

In current PC i use vmware and virtual machines with 1GB ram assigned, so i think 16GB will be enough. I can always buy more when if need. Is Hyper-V much better than vmware ?

Another think that troubles me is bigger power consumption in AMD due to its 8 cores...

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

In terms of licencing its cheaper than ESXi. And using Windows 8 with Hyper V is better than using a add-on product, as in Windows 8 the Hyper visor is Type 1, rather than the less efficent Type 2 hypervisors that run on top of windows, although if you are using ESXi that is also a Type 1.

The advantage is that you can use it as a regular windows 8 machine in addition to hosting virtual machines.

SamGriffiths

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Get the FX-8350, if you're running a load of virtual machines it is a much better choice, and it's almost as fast in games at the 3570k anyway, don't let the fan boys lie to you =P.

I'm interested in your DIY case, have you got any pictures?

wyder

Honorable
May 22, 2013

It seems good, i have no experience with Type 1 VMs. I will try it, but i am not convinced to win8 yet...
Thanks for advices!

wyder

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Mobo is not finished yet. When i finish it i will put some pictures...

Damn, probably i will take pentium becouse i can't find good mATX mobo for AMD. For pentium Asus P8Z77-M is perfect. I will check Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock... all good Mobos are full ATX... any ideas?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

If its main role is to host virtual machines, then a Type 1 Hypervisor is far far superior.

wyder

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Finnaly i have bought:
- core i5 3570K
- Asus P8Z77-M
- 2x8GB Corsair 1600 cl9.

I overspend my budget a little ( total cost ~500$ ), but i hope it shows worth it.
I haved deciced to choose intel platform becouse of none good mATX mobos for AMD and lower i5 TDP.

If someone will be interested i can make some tests how much virtual machines with running games it handle.
Cheers.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Ah going intel, you would have been better off getting the Xeon E3 1230 v2 with that mobo, as it has hyper threading and would be better for virtual machines.

wyder

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Heh, a man who never sleep...
Ah, fuck, i though that i5 has 8 threads... Why you didn't write it before ?

wyder

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Maby i can still change my order ( i bought it by interned ). How looks OC with Xeon ? Can i overclock it well by using FSB?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Can't alter the multiplier like the 3570k, but you can oc the BCLK a bit, but not a lot.

However the additional Cache, Hyper threading and all the Virtualisation tech enabled will make much more of a difference for your virtual machines. The ability to see 8 threads helps a lot when running lots of VMs.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Haha I sleep, but its day time for me, im in UK.
Nope only 4 on the i5.

I didnt say before because I thought you were going for the AMD 8350.

wyder

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Ok, but like i said before - 4 physical cores i 4 physical cores - The Nature can not be deceived.
Maby good Type 1 VM will be close to 8 threads virtualization, and additionally i can overclock my proc to i.e. 4.5Ghz which significantly improve performance. To sum up - i hope final efect after OC will be better.

Thanks for advices Rob!
Btw, I am from Poland.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

The thing is with the virtual machines, I doubt they will be at 100% cpu all the time - this is where Hyper threading helps and the unused cycles can be used and you can assign more virtual cores.