Looking to upgrade my gpu

chuchutrain

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I'm current looking to get a new graphics card. The one I've been eyeing lately is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202024

My main goal is to get a graphic card that will support 1200p gaming on at least high settings.

Although I'm curious if my current cpu would bottle neck the gpu performance.

my cpu is: Core i5-650 Clarkdale 3.2GHz w/ 8 gigs of 1600 ddr3
my gpu is: xfx 5770 (pretty sure i need new gpu :p)

Any thoughts?

At that sort of resolution the 7870 XT is going to be a good choice.
But.
The installed CPU is dual core and quite a few of the current games really need a quad cored CPU for best performance. If you cannot source/afford/do n't want to upgrade the CPU I'd suggest you drop down to the 7850 or GTX650Ti Boost- not the normal one, the Boost is a much more capable card they would be a better match for the rest of the system.

chuchutrain

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Originally I was going to upgrade my CPU as well but found out that new cput are 1155 where my mobo only supports 1156 so I'd have to upgrade my motherboard along with the cpu which isn't a bad idea but I was just hoping to get a new video card.

What if i just get the 7870 now then in a few months upgrade the mobo/cpu?

If you're going to wait, then wait properly ;) Nvidia will release updated hardware very soon, it may pay you to wait until that happens and the dust settles before you make a final decision.
Check your motherboard CPU support list and if it handles overclocking (google). If the motherboard will handle Quad core i5s I would strongly suggest you look very hard for one of them- My I5 750 is running vey nicely at 3.4GHz (stock 2.6GHz) cooled by a cheap Coolermaster Hyper 212+, on a 'value' motherboard and with a HD7950 (VERY similar to the 7870XT you linked) there's not much it can't play at high/uber settings.

chuchutrain

Honorable
May 22, 2013

hmm well I found a few 750/760 i'll just keep my eye open. The ones i've found so far seem nearly expensive as just buying an Intel Core i5-3570K. Perhaps i'll just wait. (Other issue is I'm getting married in a couple months and the money will no longer be mine :p)

TRENDING THREADS