Sign in with
Your question

GAMES and Windows XP for Aspire 5515

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
May 22, 2013 11:29:45 AM

Games for modified aspire 5515

Modifeid as in software & hardware changes from the default hardware/software that came with the aspire 5515.

Processor: AMD Athlon x2 2.1ghz 4050e, 45WT, 512k L2x2=1mb. supports HT (board 1ghz ht link)
Processor: The 4050e proccessor is a low power desktop processor. its a low power AM2 that works in the aspire 5515. The factory Heatsink for the aspire 5515 is not suitable for this processor. overheats at just %50 load

I solved the over heating issue by placing the laptop upside down with cover off with a small fan blowing on it. I only need the fan when running applications. I do not need the fan to browse the computer or use the internet browser. however, netflix seems to overheat once in awhile when playing back HD video.
I've decided this pratical because my laptop screen is broken and I use an external monitor (tv). I use this laptop as a desktop computer and I never move it so having the fan with the exposed heatsink is not so bad.

I suppose if you still want to use the laptop as a "laptop" try a Athlon Neo x2 6650e. The Neo processor is a 2.2ghz 512x2 L2 35wt.
The difference with this chip and the one I have installed is... the athlon neo is 15wt's lower power thus a cooler running processor and its a 100MHz faster. Im not using it because its extreemly hard to find.

-----------Installing a different processor.
The experience I had with aspire 5515.
compared to the aspire 5520. they make the aspire 5515 processor socket extreemly difficult to get at. manuals want you to almost break down the enture machine before you can even get at the processor.
I decided thats crap so what I did was this... take the back panel off an you'll find the heatsink right away. looks easy. its not. after removing the fan and heatsink you'll realize the damn plastic chassi gets in the way of the unlock lever. I've got around this by heating a small sharp knife with a lighter and actually melting through some of the plastic just enough so i could raise the unlock lever. I was carful and it was easy. took only moments.

RAM: Im not sure what best possible ram for this machine is but im useing PC2-6400 (400mhz) ddr2, 2gbx2 (4gb ram)
Its my understanding that if you have to ram chips that have different clock speeds. the computer will actually clock down the faster chip to equal the slower chip. so if you got like (ddr333) and (ddr400) your gonna get the lower of the two clocks.

WINDOWS!!
aspire 5515 came with vista. that sucks for this computer. its just not beefy enough for that OS (my opinion)

------------I INSTALLED WINDOWs XP Pro!
things you should know about windows xp on this machine.... ugh.

To even install this operating system you need to get into your bios and change IDE Mode to "NATIVE". Windows xp simply wont install or run with other sata modes or whatever. Do this and you xp installation with start and finish. Also, make sure the video memory setting is at 256mb in the BIOS even though XP will report 700mb transfer memory later on the adaptor properties.

------------Processors problems fixed! >
windows xp needs at liest service pack 2 to use duel core processors properly and even then your still going to have issues with games. Problems with games include poor video playback and leg spikes and system crashes. to fix this for XP Install the "Duel Core Optimizer", google it. for multi CPU cores. windows xp cant snyc information between the two CPU cores properly for some reason. Microsoft also has a patch for xp Service pack2 installations regarding multi core processors. I dont know what it's for but INSTALL it anyway!
If you put a desktop processor in your aspire 5515 like I have (AMD Athlonx2 4050e) make sure your power play settings are at max battory all the time. I had terrible clocking issues with xp (low clocks, wrong reported clocks) because of the power play settings.

WINDOWS XP DRIVERS FOR ASPIRE 5515 (ALL)
http://drp.su/drivers/notebooks/?v=Acer&m=Aspire%205515...

Find the link in RED to download all drivers. Its good to download this stuff BEFORE you crap your machine and try to install XP. Its extreemly problematic when you load up your brand new operation system and realize you have no wifi or eithernet drivers installed to use the internet.

also I bad cpu driver will give very weird clocks and cause problems even if the driver installs correctly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Aspire 5515
Windows XP Pro
4 GB RAM (3GB for xp)
AMD Athlon x2 2.1GHz 4050e 45wt
ATI X1200 700mb (hyper transfer memory)

with this setup or similar you can play:
GAMES-

DOOM 3 (1024x768 medium/low detail ok FPS)
Unreal Tournament 2004 (1024x768 high graphics, turn off fog/weather and phyics. ENABLE Geometry instancing in ATI Panel)

Half Life 2 (1024x768 max graphics, use medium shader)
Battlefield Heroes, ONLINE free2play (5mb internet, some GUI shader issuies does not effect game play. use medium/low graphics)

Left4Dead (640x480 low settings. game run but not well. I finished a 40 min run. riots chop up bad. not recommended)

Quake 3 (1280x1024 with 2x anisotropic and V-Sync max settings. you can download a widescreen res. program for this) 1360x768.

Resident evil 4 (1024x768) good FPS
PLAYSTATION Emulator (name: espxe 1024x768) Runs great. the settings options are geared for advanced users though.
NINTENDO 64 Emulator (name: Project 64 1024x768 anisotropic X4 or higher. very easy to configure!)

SNES Emulators (name:SNEX, max)
GENESES Emulators (name:Gens32, max)
Blood Omen 2 1024x768-1360x768 no widescreen support. needs its patch for stablility. beautiful game. run MAX. no anti-alias

GTA 4 (1024x768 great framerate, high draw distance (view distance)
GTA 3 (1024x768 great framerate, max.
Silent Hill 3 Nominal framerate. slower in fog. faster in clear enviroments. runs nice for this machine. widescreen patch exists.

Flat Out 2 (1360x768 high Graphics, 2x anitropic. turn OFF post porcessing.)
Evil Dead: Regeneration (1024x768) medium/high graphics. runs great. requires "dual core Optimizer" for video leg spike FIX.

RUNESCAPE (windowed, low graphics settings. playable but ugly. makes it look like Runescape 2)
---------------------------------------------------------

These are games I've tested and actually played on this machine. The thing is the aspire 5515 with these hardware/software settings can play anything before the year 2004 %90 of the time i've tried. Battlefield heroes is an enjoyable experience still and it was made in 2009. left4dead shouldnt even be listed but ive tested it. you could finish a 40min round depending on how much you like the game. not recommended.

My ATI CARD settings:

KEEP Default and then turn on Geometry Instancing. LEAVE the rest alone!

Oh yeah, I've noticed alot of games like it if you enable Triple Buffering+Vertical Sync if the framerate of the game your trying to run is less then the framerate of your screen. Vertical Sync and triple buffering work together so use them together! its a OPEN GL thing... I recommend for LCD displays totally.

Im Not a pro or I.T. about anything but I spent ages looking for this crap so I hope the next guy finds all he needs in one place. here. thank you.
May 22, 2013 12:07:33 PM

kudos on the modification and working through until you found solutions.

with that said however, i'm not so sure it is practical.

you can easily build a desktop on the cheap which can play current gen games at low quality and 2004 era games at maximum quality. in some cases you may be able to get such hardware free as old tech is virtually worthless in most cases (even 5-6 year old hardware will play those games fine).
May 22, 2013 1:09:47 PM

ssddx said:
kudos on the modification and working through until you found solutions.

with that said however, i'm not so sure it is practical.

you can easily build a desktop on the cheap which can play current gen games at low quality and 2004 era games at maximum quality. in some cases you may be able to get such hardware free as old tech is virtually worthless in most cases (even 5-6 year old hardware will play those games fine).

rynz101
Lol thanks :)  what ive done to this computer is kind of wacky. i went through a period ware all i could do was squeeze as much juice out that aspire 5515 because I had no other computer. I do have a new machine now for my gaming needs. i just thought id share my crazy experiences with the world heh.

!