Bumping unanswered threads?

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
I'm not sure where could I post this but I need to know if I can bump an unanswered thread (The tread has a few replies but the last follow up question wasn't answered by anyone) I couldn't find anywhere if this was allowed, and if not can I just repost the question?

that would fall under the DONT section of forum rules see the FAQ

What are the Rules of Conduct?

The Rules of Conduct are general guidelines for regular users on acceptable behavior in the Tom's Hardware forums.

Do...
1.Search the forums. Someone else may have already answered your question/discussed the topic.
2.Read the stickies. They answer a lot of questions, and are great reads too!
3.Use paragraphs, and avoid walls of text that are hard to read.
4.Provide details on what is going wrong, and how. Share your hardware specs and OS, when applicable.
5.Keep criticism constructive. Attack the idea, not the person.
6.Check out our guide to posting images and styling your posts. You can also see how other users do the same by clicking "BBCode" above their post.
7.Report violators to the Moderation Team by clicking "Report" above the post.

Don't...
1.Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!!
2.Share personal information, like your email address. Identify theft is real.
3.Bump posts, claim "first!"
4.Hijack a topic. Stick to the original conversation.
5.Ask for help pirating, cracking passwords, or bypassing copyright protection

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Posting an update of the situation, anything you have tried that has failed, increase the information that may have been omitted from the first post.

If you can add to it without 'bumping' then go for it. This might just give someone slightly more information and an idea how to help.

This thread would be quite appropriate if the original was sort of time related. :D.

My personal answer - were such a thread to be bumped - might be to investigate any internal battery which might need replacing. I do not, however, know if a PS3 has such a battery but I suspect it may have, given that the clock ran slow and didn't stop completely.

Technically if your thread is unanswered and you then posted a second time adding more detail to the request "politely" which would assist someone in looking at perhaps a reply then I probably would not mind.

Does that help?

Most of us are not ogres here but there is a lot of traffic so bumping just turns a given forum area into a mess ... traffic in terms of valid posts keeps a thread high in the order of things because it is salient, popular and appeals to many other users.

Bumping artificially inflates the natural order of things ...

Like news about North Korea's leader ... a pimple on the a$$ of the world but he gets much more attention than he deserves.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Reynod and Saga Lout are both moderators. Reynods answer is more along my lines of thinking.

jpishgar is the Community Manager and he says no bumping, so that is a flat no.

If you can add to the thread with more information that can help others resolve your problem then go for it, if it is just a bump then don't. If you are going to repost a question look at why it might not have been answered in the first place.

iplikator3333

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

The points is, one of those threads is asking for suggestions, and if I repost it I might get a similar suggestions that I already got in the first thread, I could list all the ones I already got in the new thread, but many people don't even read the full posts and they just instantly answer

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
I realize this can be problematic, but the alternative is a forum filled with bumps, firsts, and other useless threads. The value of our threads is more than just answering an individual. Other users visit the site and are looking for answers to their similar issues, so we have to ride a fine line when it comes to quality and considerations for the original poster. Our objective is to provide a venue for help to be given to each other, but not at the cost of the potential for help to be given to another.

If you do absolutely need a thread bumped, post additional information pertinent to the issue in that thread. You may also wish to contact a moderator ahead of time to inform them that you'll be updating a thread in hopes of acquiring a response. This extenuating circumstance should be used sparingly.

I thought I found the right thread and have made a suggestion in my reply above,, iplikator3333. If none of the suggestions in any thread don't work, it's likely no-one has an answer. It's rare but it does happen and more detail may help to crack the problem.