Nvidia vs AMD Graphics Cards?

SLI is better than Crossfire, 3D Vision is better than HD3D, AMD is marginally faster and cheaper, all Nvidia technology (Physx, FXAA etc.) is worthless. It's pretty much that simple.

Pokealong1227

Honorable
May 22, 2013

So basically, for dual monitor 3D hardcore gaming, Nvidia is better. For the average gamer sitting back owning some kids, AMD is better. Right?

This question always lends some interesting fan boy responses around here ;)

The AMD driver problems have mostly been solved.
AMD kicks NVidias butt in directcompute/opencl and very high resolution.
Eyefinity is better then NV surround.

Crossfire still has microstutter where it is much less in SLI.
NVidia supports CUDA and Physx but there are usually pointless unless you have a specific need.
Nvidia control panel is slightly more flexible then CCC

Nvidia provides adaptive VSync but RadeonPRO will do that for free on AMD cards so it is moot.

They trade blows for performance / price.

I agree with most that, but..

I wouldn't say the Nvidia tech is worthless. That's a bit too strong, but some is not worth a lot. FXAA is useful, but AMD has a similar tech called MLAA, neither are great. Adaptive v-sync is also pretty nice, though it is possible to get something similar with 3rd party software with AMD with RadeonPro (more work, but works). GPU accelerated PhysX is nice, but is rarely used.

If you are curious about SLI/Crossfire, you can read about it here, so you don't have to take our words for it:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-HD-7990-6GB-Review-Malta-Gets-Frame-Rated
www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-13.html

I used these two, because they do show what AMD is working on with their prototype driver as well as the current beta drivers.

I'd really like to see an article that shows Eyefinity is better. What I have seen is Eyefinity supports more configuration (5x, 6x, mix of portrate and landscape), but I've seen more software support with 2D surround. Do you have any good articles that could help us here? I'm not so sure what is actually better.

Maybe not worthless, nice to have if its there, but in buying a card it wouldn't have any pull at all in my decision. Others will see it differently I'm sure.

He said he did not want fanboy responses, and also requested that statements be backed up by facts.

It hasn't been too bad up to this point, but if you try to inflame things, it could go down hill fast.

I use Nvidia bud.

Pokealong1227

Honorable
May 22, 2013

I didn't say it was perfect. But there have been some good answers, minus a couple sentences here or there that may have just been worded wrong. I don't exactly appreciate you trying to make a big deal out of it though. Please either post your experiences with the cards or some comparisons, or don't spam the thread trying to start arguments. I appreciate the diversity and nobody so far as said "Omg nvidia ftw no amd they suck" or some fanboy response. They are backed up by fact and/or experience. Which is exactly what I was looking for. Experiences can be just as good as facts, as long as they are not un-supported opinions. Sorry if I come across rude in this, it was just the best way I could find to word it. If I do, that is not my intentions. Thanks to you, and everyone else, for your input on this thread!