"PS4 has "50% more raw power" in graphics than Xbox One"

aFFiix

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Don't believe rumors for now, The Xbox has 32 MB of eRam for its GPU which makes a huge difference. Plus games are going to be made for xbox and ported to PS4

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
32MB eSRAM with 102 GB/s memory bandwidth is a good band-aid to help with the DDR3 only having 68.3 GB/s.... but the PS4 has 176 GB/s on it's primary system memory with that GDDR5.

We can pretend that that doesn't matter, but in Desktop GPU examples where there's a cheaper version of a GPU with less memory bandwidth like this, the performance drop is usually right around 30%, using the same GPU, with the same amount of shaders.

But, see, it's not the same GPU. The Xbox One is rumored to be using a GPU that has 50% less shader cores.

All this plays out to be true (which is looking pretty likely right now), and the Xbox One should be trashed by the PS4 in performance. It's 50% less shader cores AND a much slower memory bandwidth. That can mean the end result is performance that's more in lines of 70%-ish worse than the PS4.

And AAA games aren't made for the Xbox and ported to other platforms, either. Who the hell told you that?

false, the pc will be more powerful and games will be made on pc, like they always have been. only difference is this gen of gaming consoles will be that the game coding is architecturally identical to pc gaming so all systems will see a vast improvement in performance, especially the lack of ported to pc games as this generation will end porting to pc. the ps4 will be slightly more powerful than the xbox one

lazykoala

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

I like how you completely ignored the topic for everything except your last sentence lol.

Milton Martinez

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

you dont know which platform will be the one most devs developed for first; that is determined by the instal base of the system and the ease of programing and given that the architecture in the PS4 was designed to be simple, the general goodwill that many are showing the PS4 (meaning a larger instal base) and the fact it makes more sense to develop for the superior platform and then downscale to the others then devs will likely be developing for the PS4 and porting to the Xbox One, given the similaritie between the two, it will probably be less of a hassle this time around for them.

The only thing that matters is that the GPUs are from radeon, meaning that the development of the games will probably benefit from PC GPUs better tahn those horrible ports we got when ps3 and xbox 360 were the leaders.

Not really, given how all the devs claim the PS4 is easier to develop for. Especially given the lack of ERAM.

ERAM is hard to manage; basically, to get around the horrid bandwidth, you constantly have to feed data to a high speed buffer, so data is there for the CPU. VERY hard to manage right, and one reason why the PS3 never really reached its potential, because its local CPU buffer was impossible to keep fed. Really bad design decision, but MSFT had to sacrifice to keep cost down (The built in Kinnect prevented them from using the much more expensive, but bandwidth friendly, GDDR5 as system RAM). Frankly, MSFT would have been better served just using a normal consumer GPU on a dedicated bus then use ERAM and a HSA architecture.

Secondly, the ERAM, according to multiple sources, is getting VERY low yields, and since its tied to the GPU clock, there is a roumer the XB1's GPU will be underclocked in order to improve yields (the idea being, that MSFT doesn't want to miss a holiday release). I doubt this, but its worth watching.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
That's a big rumor, that seems to have a lot of logic behind it.

The Xbox One's chip is huge. Around 5 Billion transistors in size, mainly due to embedded memory. The eSRAM takes up probably over half the die space (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume it's about 3 billion transistors to the eSRAM 2 billion to the APU).

Having a chip that size is risky. We've seen Nvidia struggle with having huge GPUs in the past, with big yield issues, leading to them having to downclock the GPU. It's what caused Fermi to struggle so much, especially early on...

So, to me, a huge 5 billion transistor chip having yield issues wouldn't be any surprise at all. MS would have the choices of either lowing performance of the eSRAM to improve yield, or the GPU, or both. The Xbox One was already probably memory bandwidth constrained... so....

Yeah. They probably had to reduce the speed of the GPU.... Wow. I didn't even think of this, but.... Wow. If this proves to have truth to it, the Xbox One can end up A LOT less powerful than the PS4.
- before this, it was assumed the Xbox One would have 30% less compute performance than the PS4, but if this is true, it'd be more like HALF the compute performance.

Wow..... Sorry, but, this could actually be a huge deal.

Right now, based on how many consoles Gamestop is allowed to reserve in advance per store (16, compared to the 200 PS4's the are allowed to reserve), the consensus opinion is there are SIGNIFICANT yield issues, and you'll have a paper launch over the holidays.