Is it safe to use a CPU Cooler without the Support Bracket

anuj vir

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Hi,
I just bought a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme CPU Cooler.
Even after assurances from the vendor, that the cooler would support socket 1155/1156, the product that i got did not.
They then told me that i can use the cooler without using any support bracket for 1155/1156.
I can see how that could be done, but am a little apprehensive as to if that is safe.

I really do not want to engage in sending the product back and then getting myself involved with all sorts of discussions with the vendor.

These coolers are pretty heavy and i think that a bracket could help discipate the load of the coolers, preventing the cooler to exert pressures on the holes they are screwed and making the motheroard safe.

I wanted to ask if anyone has used a high end cpu cooler without a support bracket and is it safe to do so!

Thanks

X79

Honorable
I think it's one of those things which can depend on many things.

From the type of case, to the weight of the cooler.

I'd think common sense would dictate, that if you think there's a risk of

your hardware being damaged, that it's the safest bet to find another solution.

anuj vir

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Thanks for the reply, but i was hoping that perhaps someone who had used a CPU Cooler this way could shed some light on the problem. I have come accross many posts where people make adjustments to their coolers in order to make them work with new hardware.
I am looking forward gor comments of any such person!

anuj vir

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Hi,
Anybody trying to do what i did, i.e. use a CPU Cooler without a Backplate can read this.
I have successfully installed the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme CPU Cooler to my system.
There were a few experiences though that i did not foresee...and here are a couple of suggestions for those looking to install a CPU cooler without a Backplate.
Firstly, do not install the CPU cooler, wihout any coushining. I was a bit worried as to how the CPU cooler would impact my motherborad if i installed it wihout a Backplate. I found out an easy solution. I used a Hard Sponge (that came with the courier box), cut it into four pieces and placed it between the motherboard and the screws on the back side where the backplate ought to have been. This would guarantee safety to my Motherboard as there is a bit of coushining provided by the sponge.
Secongly, angain, the sponge works as an insulator. I first installed the cooler without the aforementioned sponge and found that the system wouldn't start. On researching i found that the system was shorting.
I used the sponge that i placed within the screws as an insulator also....and after doing this...the system works perfectly.

I am pleased with the performance uptill now.
With Stock cooler i got 50-55 degree Celcius when idle, and for some reason my stock heatsink could not run Prime95, and blew over 95 within a minute of stress test with the same.
Now However, i ran Prime 95 for about ha;f an hour and the Temperatures never crossed 62 degree Celcius, the idle temp is in 40s.

Please let me know if anyone has similar problems, maybe i could help.

Thanks