Ultra low power PC to run off solar power

offgrid_scientist

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Hello all.

I have a remote cabin in the woods that is running on a small solar array/battery bank.

I have a weather station there, and a data logger on my solar power, eventually setting up a motion activated webcam for security purposes.

I'm looking for some info on an ultra low power PC that can collect data from my weather station and data logger and webcam (the software is primarily Windows based, so *nix boxes are out at this point unfortunately).

Ideally I'm looking for something that doesn't take more than 10 watts while performing this task.. and ideally less than 2-3 watts while in standby mode (I intend to have the machine wake up every 3-4 hours, download the data and upload it to a ftp using a Bell 3g USB stick)

This computer only needs limited audio (listening to some mp3s while at the cabin).. and a minimal video card as well... wifi is needed (as I prefer to log in from my tablet instead of having a monitor on the box), at least 3 USB slots, or 2 USB and 1 RS-232

I'm open to buying a product already assembled, or building my own if its possible (I've put together desktop PCs in the past, but nothing low-power).

There is a product from a company called http://www.thefitpc.com/ that offer a box that runs on less than 7watts, but in their own forums I have seen mixed reviews (and they have trouble waking up from stand-by it appears) - Also there is no where in Canada to buy this PC it appears (we get nailed on duty/taxes when things cross the border).

Any suggestions for me?

cheers,

cooldex

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
from my knowledge thats impossible like 10 watts is really low maybe when haswell comes out like in fall but now only thing i can think of close to that is a android phone or tablet but they aint powerful as a computer. lowest cpu is 35w pentium or i3 but then you matters well get a laptop that can do it

cooldex

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
ultra book now thinking of about haswell ultrabook might fit your need but still in graphics card go head and for get about it you'll probable get intel hd 4000 performance

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I think you could get away with a tablet that has a spliter like this one for the USB.
Use a 2 amp charger like this one if you can produce 12v at 2 amps it should work providing your not using it steady.

g-unit1111

Titan

I think the OP is asking for a system that can be always on, and the Haswell CPUs are a good suggestion but a laptop definitely isn't. I think an AMD A10 5700, which consumes 65W with GPU and CPU is probably the way to go in this scenario.

ultra book now thinking of about haswell ultrabook might fit your need but still in graphics card go head and for get about it you'll probable get intel hd 4000 performance

Again, I think the OP is looking for a low powered DESKTOP (not laptops, ultra books, or tablets) that can be always on and powered by solar panels for collecting data. So far none of these suggestions I think are what the OP is looking for.

This I think might be along the lines of what the OP is looking for:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-5700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A85X-ITX Mini ITX FM2 Motherboard ($105.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($125.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $723.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-23 13:43 EDT-0400)

offgrid_scientist

Honorable
May 23, 2013
I appreciate the input cooldex, however, it certainly is not impossible.. as I mentioned, the fit-pc company has a full PC that runs at 8watts under full load, check out the specs here: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc/fit-pc2i-specifications/

However they have been slow with responding to my questions and I fear they don't quite have all the specs I need (like an RS-232 port.)

Since posting this question a few moments ago, I've also come across product by Intel, the Intel NUC D33217CK. It idles at 13 watts and runs at full load at under 30 watts: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2013/03/25/intel-nuc-d33217ck-review/5

Hillmanant: 12v at 7amps is 84 watts... way to much! I can only spend about 60 watt-hours per day on this machine, the remote location has a very limited battery bank.

g-unit: thats a nice set-up, but 65 watts is still to power-hungry for me.. I'd only be able to run it less than 1 hour.

the computer doesnt necessarily need to be "always-on" so long as it has the ability to wake-up at pre-determined times.

So far its looking like this Intel NUC device is my best bet so far.. but perhaps someone out there may have other suggestions?

I appreciate all the input so far!

and please keep in mind I do not need something with a lot of processing power.. this device will simply be a data-logger for my weather station (no gaming, no internet browsing, no video watching, etc)

cooldex

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
or get more solar panels off ebay and will be able to get a more powerful desktop like 400w should handle a quadcore with a midrange-to highend gpu

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Ok how about something like this, the specs are posted here for power consumption less than 7 watts, and a video review and demo here. But you may still need the USB splitter I posted above.

Edit: Never mind about the splitter missed the 2 USB ports in the back for 4 total.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

What is your power format? What are we plugging into like a 110 wall outlet or car cig lighter or how you interface with the power to be PC? You will use more wattage with the monitor than with the micro pc wouldn't you? How do you plan on combating this, use a generator to get it set up then unhook everything and let it stand alone?

offgrid_scientist

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Hillmanant: The solar array has an inverter than converts DC power to 110 AC, a standard north american plug.

However, given the option, I could power directly from DC ... that saves me a few watts from having to run the inverter. so any machine with the ability to take straight 12V DC would be amazing

As for setup, I can set the thing up at my house and then bring it to the cabin.. I wasn't planning on keeping a monitor there, I can SSH into the box, or use remote desktop, to connect to it from a tablet/smartphone or just bring a small 7-10inch monitor with me when I head down there and need to change settings (I leave as few things as possible there due to risk of theft)

This machine is basically a data-transfer rig (connect to weather station and solar data-logger and transmit data to an ftp) - ideally I should never have to change any settings once I get it initially configured.

The WYSE C30LE machine you posted is getting a lot closer to what I need! However it appears it doesn't have a hard-drive, and only runs windows-CE .. I believe my software is only compatible with Win XP and later.. I'll check into that.

We are definitely getting closer tho! If that thing had a hard drive and winXP I'd be all set:)

g-unit1111

Titan

Again, missing the point of what the OP is asking for - netbooks, ultra books, and laptops aren't the ideal system here. It's a desktop with extremely low power requirements.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Or how about this Norhtec product it boasts 1 watt with a compact flash for boot. Should be able to get one big enough for your application. This only has 2 usb ports though may need the splitter.

Edit: Just noticed it does have 3 USBs there's one more on the back I missed. Its a 5v system too so there may be a 12v-5v converter to get rid of the 120v AC converter as stated above by OP. Here's a Youtube vid on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9C11bJyrgg

Yes the VIA embedded cpu's are decent products too. They have been making this kind of product longer than either intel or AMD

Just be aware that if you are going to run windows you must be using an X86 processor

I noticed a few similar products using ARM processors . They wont run windows or windows programs