Help with high cpu-gpu temperatures needed (with pics)

Shubham Oberoi

Honorable
May 22, 2013
This is my rig
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE (old)
CPU cooler: Cooler master Hyper 212 Plus (old)
GPU: SAPPHIRE HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 (2 years old)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 78mmt-s2 (new)
Ram: Dynet 4 gb DDR3 (old)
PSU: Corsair VS450 (single rail) (new)

I am getting high temperatures for both cpu and gpu. I don't know about the room temperature but the city where I live is very hot these days. (around 46 degree Celsius) I am not using any case fan, but had decent room cooler near open cabinet, which didn't help either. I reapplied some local thermal paste on both cpu and gpu but that didn't help much either. Not sure if it got worse because of absence of room cooler or the thermal paste itself. Below are some screenshots showing the cpu-gpu temps at idle and full load.
At full load
adad.png

At idle
gpuz.gif

CPU at idle
idle.png

cpu at load
1.png

I've recently upgraded my pc so I'm not sure why the temperatures are getting so high. I haven't overclocked anything yet. :/ Could the gpu be faulty? I am not sure if the gpu is still under warranty or not. The invoice was dated on 2011-05-08 , not sure if its 5th august or 8th may . Shall I get my gpu checked ? Can I get a RMA even after I opened the gpu's case and applied thermal paste to it?

And btw, here's how my cabinet looks . Please see if fans/wires are arranged properly.
2013-05-22+13.39.30.jpg

ihog

Distinguished
A rear exhaust fan might help. A good case works best with everything closed, so that airflow is not disrupted. Do you have a front intake fan?

Also, a side fan blowing on the GPU might help.

Shubham Oberoi

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Thanks for your reply :)
and I will soon buy 2-4 fans for my system. There are no additional fans installed other than core component's fans. But right now, I doubt will fans be that effective that the cpu and gpu temperatures would be reduced to normal range? Because for now I have my case opened and huge room cooler next to cabinet didn't help much either :/
Shall I get the gpu for RMA?

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Laws of thermodynamics - positive case pressure and proper flow direction combined with cable management can and WILLmake a big difference

GPU heatpipe with zero direct airflow... be happy it's only 42. GPU is fine. Case setup is not. Cables need better managing for future fans to be effective

Shubham Oberoi

Honorable
May 22, 2013

The case is open and has room cooler pointing towards it just half meter away from it. The temp rises from 45 to 100 degrees. By closing down the cabinet and installing more fans, do I expect a decrease in temp that much? like 35 on idle and 60 on load. ?

Will manage cables now. However, 42 in on idle. Gets upto 90's on load. How is that normal ? :/

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
As we said - DIRECT airflow. Cool air half a meter away doesny do squat. Unless you find a way yo chnage the laws of the universe. Close up the case, get GOOD case fans, get positive pressure, and get fans DIRECTLY on that card. Once you've done these things, then we can make a call if something else is happebing. Too many issues going on at once and you need to fix the major ones first

Is that gpu cooler the one it came with? Or did you install that? Had the cpu heatsink off?
There's a chance you applied wrong amount of TIM or didn't reseat the heatsink fully. Did you clean off the old TIM and how?
Edit * wait a minute here... (sorry was running a 34hr stretch no sleep so I just realized this) gpu is 42 idle, and hitting 90-100 while running furmark testing???? Well duh! Yes this will happen! Nothing out of the ordinary here! That cooler isnt made for benching like that. Run real world examples like gaming and see how it performs.

Shubham Oberoi

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Thanks for your reply
Getting a local fan today for testing, will order some good fans online and test those too when I receive those.
I am using stock cooler for gpu, nothing has been modified in the gpu. Except for the thermal paste inside. The heatsink and fan are clean. Experimented with different ways of applying thermal paste like credit card method, cross method and pea method. (which worked the best btw)
I am using custom cooler for cpu, i.e. Cooler master Hyper 212 Plus. So, same TIM has been applied by me only to the cpu. Now I doubt the quality of the paste too, so I will do more experiments with Tims. But I don't think I've applied tim wrongly. However, I will see a technician too just in case.
Btw, my system is in a very hot room. I shifted it to one of the rooms where I have air conditioner installed and bang! Got some decent temp drops. However, those aren't cool either :p
Now here is a screenshot of battlefield 3 along with cpu-gpu temperatures on the top

BF3 with air conditioner on

bf3+2013-05-24+18-45-38-87.bmp

BF3 without air conditioner on
bf3+2013-05-25+10-00-18-72.bmp

bf3+2013-05-25+10-00-24-41.bmp

Edit:
Whoops, temps aren't very clear in these pics
with air conditioner on
CPU-62 degree Celsius
GPU- 84 degree Celsius
with air conditioner off
CPU- 66.8 degree Celsius
GPU- 93 degree Celsius

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Even zip tying a 80-110cfm fan to the cage in front of the card will help. Ambient temps can def make a difference.

Think of an AC compressor. Fluid compresses and when released is cooler. An air line with a blow tip behaves similar. Gas laws and thermodynamic laws. This is why positive case pressure can make such a difference. Ok - so I really simplified. But the principle exists. Get higher cfm pushing in than out using your fans and I guarantee you see results

Shubham Oberoi

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Installed a local lame exhaust chassis fan, didn't help much . Now I'm not very sure that the problem lies with the airflow, cause I've used the same case with different hardware except for the gpu with no temp issues. :(

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Positive pressure! Intake more than out! Come on man... ive repeated it how many times? You need to create internal turbulance and pressure. 80-110cfm fans. 2 in 1 out.

Shubham Oberoi

Honorable
May 22, 2013

yup bro I got you , its just that I was sharing with my current progress. I borrowed the exhaust local fan before reading your post and tried it out. Just informing how did it go. So chill out I'm listening and working on what you've said too. Thanks a lot anyways. Sorry if I sound stupid
btw, I have done some more experiments with the machine. Took out the board, placed it into its box and turned on the system with its board out without cabinet.Turned the air conditioner on, Then after playing bf3, my max temp for cpu went upto 56 degrees and for gpu were 80 degrees celsius. When the board is in case, the temperatures with ac on were CPU-62 degree Celsius and GPU- 84 degree Celsius.