Sign in with
Your question

GTX 670 SLI vs. GTX 780

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 23, 2013 11:26:13 AM

Hello,

I bought a EVGA GTX 670 FTW almost 3 months ago and am now eligible for their Step-Up Program. However I have only 6 days left to make a decision.

In order to step-up to the GTX 780, it will cost £312 because I paid £320 for my 670.

What I would like to know and perhaps other as well is; Is it better to buy another 670 for £320 and go SLI or upgrade to a 780? (this cost is not including the cost of shipping card back to EVGA).

Some people say there is micro-stuttering with SLI, some don't, so I cannot make an informed/safe decision. During my 'research' I have established that 670 SLI is much more powerful than a 780.

I prefer performance over anything. I want to know that playing on a 1080p display I would be able to play max settings for the next 3 years without having to upgrade. I think 670 SLI could more or less do this. I can already play 95% of games at full settings at 60fps with a single 670.

Please let me know your thoughts. If there are inherent issues with SLI then if you have a good article for me to read up on I would be much appreciative.

Kind Regards

Beresford

P.S. I have a Corsair 850W so hopefully this will enough for SLI.

More about : gtx 670 sli gtx 780

May 23, 2013 11:48:24 AM

There is not much micro-stuttering with the Nvidia 670's in SLI, also they scale very good in games.
2x GTX 670's in SLI will beat a single GTX 780 in core performance. But a single 780 will beat them in memory and GPU display, and yes a 850W PSU should be enough.

So it really depends on what you use your pc for, do you use any higher resolution than 1920x1080, do you use dual monitors?
If i was you i would be going for another 670 for SLI.
May 23, 2013 11:52:40 AM

A single more powerful GPU is the best and insures the fewest issues.
I would jump to the 780 and have the newer technology.
If you ever need more than 1 780 you can always SLI later.
850 watt is plenty for either direction you take.
Related resources
May 24, 2013 12:43:51 AM

Deaven said:
There is not much micro-stuttering with the Nvidia 670's in SLI, also they scale very good in games.
2x GTX 670's in SLI will beat a single GTX 780 in core performance. But a single 780 will beat them in memory and GPU display, and yes a 850W PSU should be enough.

So it really depends on what you use your pc for, do you use any higher resolution than 1920x1080, do you use dual monitors?
If i was you i would be going for another 670 for SLI.

Thanks for the response.

I use my computer primarily for gaming and browsing the internet.

I was thinking about getting a higher resolution monitor in the next 6 months, but I am not too bothered if I do or not. I currently have a 24" monitor, would love a 28/30"instead. I have no plans for Dual Monitors.

@giltyler

I am now torn, more performance with SLI or increased safety with a 780.

I am goingto see if I can find somewhere a review that shows the performance of a 670 vs 780 and 670 SLI vs 780 so I can make a better decision.

May 25, 2013 11:01:33 AM

You sure post a good question and the answer is not an easy one, I hate being pressured by time problems as you seem to be by EVGA to upgrade. It would have been nice to see the GTX 770 released with the 780, it would give you even more options.

This may be a stupid suggestion but I would do nothing right now and wait until the 770 is released soon. It may drive down the 670 price a bit, then pick up another 670. From everything I have read they SLI very well and would be much better performance than a single 780.

The 670 is a very good card, just because the 780 is now available does not make it a old obsolete performer by any means and should get you down the road in good shape for the next few years with no problems. And if one day you want to run more than 1 display then SLI should do that a bit better from what I have read also.

Yet I don't even have a machine so what do I know except for what I read, please take my 2 bits with a grain of salt. I decided to hold off for the new 4th gen CPU and Z78, still working with a laptop.......
!