ASRock Shows Live Demo of A-Style Waterproof Coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

unknown9122

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012

You can the connections on the right side of the motherboard. There are 3-4 cables connected.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Whats the point of this? Even in a water cooled application. Which I am assuming is its target it does not make since. The video card would short out thus rendering the system useless. A high performance video card is going to be several times more expensive then a motherboard.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
A waterproof motherboard is pretty cool, especially for sub zero cooling and water cooling. Those who bench on LN2 or DICE sure would have a much easier time with insulation.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
wow, thats pretty damn impressive, if your water cooling busts its able to provide secondary cooling to the rest of the board as the resivoir drains out =P

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
With water cooling your problem isn't water falling onto the motherboard,its vertical.It almost can not happen.Its the back of your graphics card and power supply.Notice how there was no dedicated graphics on this?Leads me to believe the pins in the pci-e slot would short out.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
While the idea seems good. Doesnt seem so practical in real world.
Say you have watercooling..Long as when it leaks, it doesn't touch any:
pci-e slots, ram slots, IO slots, pins, fan headers, USB headers, power headers, etc.. you are OK.
Waterproof everywhere but where it connects to, or has something, isn't very waterproof at all to me. I still see it failing 9 out of 10 times due to water leak, or condensation running down.
Now make each connector sealed in some thin split rubber dome or slit that connectors can pass through, then its more water proof :)

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

But your graphics card killed after tortured by water (because it was not waterproof) lol

christop

Distinguished

I will have to direct the flow of water around the pci ports... :)

christop

Distinguished

I will have to direct the flow of water around the pci ports... :)

sephirothmk

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Cute. But you should really apply this coating on laptop or cellphone motherboards. I literally know noone who spilled a drink over his desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.