Im building a new computer (first time) and need a little advice.

camachonacho

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Hey everyone, I'm building a new computer and I want it to be able to run games like ARMA 3 on ultra high settings with almost no lag on it. And I'm wondering if the parts I am ordering will be an overkill, extremely bad, or just perfect. If you reccomend different parts please tell me which ones I should choose. Thanks. Here are my parts.

CPU- Intel Core I7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz 12Mb Intel smart cache ( I plan on over clocking)

Video Card- NVIDIA Geforce gtx 680 2gb 16x PCIE 3.0 (EVGA Super clocked Signature 2 edition)

RAM- 16gb DDR3/2133 MHz

Hard drive- 2TB SATA-III 64MB Cache 7200 RPM

Motherboard- ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79

Well that does qualify as overkill in my book. I think your ideal system might be based around these components, Core i5 3570k, motherboard with Z77 chipset, 8GB (16 if really wanted) ram, ~120GB - 240GB SSD (for OS/boot), AMD Radeon HD7970, and high quality PSU like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX, PC Power and Cooling...
With Intel about to release a new processor (Haswell) with a new socket and chipset, you may want to wait a bit to see what that offers
Unless there is more to your needs than simply playing ARMA 3 on ultra-high settings

camachonacho

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Well if the specs you posted run ARMA 3 amazing than I'm pretty sure that they will run a lot more other games on ultra high settings. Correct? And also, why would I need an SSD would'nt a HDD do just fine?

Although a HDD does do the job just fine, IMO an SSD makes a difference in many situations, not just in updates (which go from several minutes on an HDD to a few seconds on an SSD - literally), boot time is reduced to a few seconds, the computer overall will "feel snappier" (to paraphrase an article I read). Here's what Tom's has to say in their "Best SSD for the Money" article "...A reader recently wrote in to me, letting me know about a Core 2 Duo-based desktop he upgraded with a 256 GB m4. He says he's happy enough with the performance that a planned platform upgrade is getting pushed back six months. The experience with an SSD is really that different. Don't just take our word for it; you'll never look back." found here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html I wouldn't consider a new build without an SSD personally.
The build specs I gave you should run any game at or near ultimate settings (figuring at 1080p display) and overclocking is a possibility if game requirements increase (many games respond well to overclocking)

camachonacho

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Okay I like those specs that you posted. Here are the ones I am ordering.
I had a bad expirence with I5 processors a few years back so I chose an I7

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache
Video Card:AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card
HDD:2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
Motherboard:3-way SLI/CrossFireX Support) GIGABYTE GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Ultra Durable 5, Intel C606 Chipset w/ SAS, Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi Card, 7.1 HD Audio, Dual GbLAN, 4 Gen3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI ,
RAM: 16gb 1600 MHz Corsair

The total is $2,125 That includes the monitor, speakers, a keyboard, a mouse, the fans, the case, and the OS. So it seems like a decent deal to me. Correct?

Sounds good (the price isn't bad for what you're getting) if not a tad bit overkill - I'm going to inquire here about the PSU though since everything in the machine depends upon it, in a system that level, I will suggest a SeaSonic or SeaSonic built PSU. Although there are other quality PSU manufacturers, SeaSonic is consistant in quality and design