Im building a new computer (first time) and need a little advice.

Hey everyone, I'm building a new computer and I want it to be able to run games like ARMA 3 on ultra high settings with almost no lag on it. And I'm wondering if the parts I am ordering will be an overkill, extremely bad, or just perfect. If you reccomend different parts please tell me which ones I should choose. Thanks. Here are my parts.

CPU- Intel Core I7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz 12Mb Intel smart cache ( I plan on over clocking)

Video Card- NVIDIA Geforce gtx 680 2gb 16x PCIE 3.0 (EVGA Super clocked Signature 2 edition)

RAM- 16gb DDR3/2133 MHz

Hard drive- 2TB SATA-III 64MB Cache 7200 RPM

Motherboard- ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79
6 answers Last reply
More about building computer time advice
  1. Well that does qualify as overkill in my book. I think your ideal system might be based around these components, Core i5 3570k, motherboard with Z77 chipset, 8GB (16 if really wanted) ram, ~120GB - 240GB SSD (for OS/boot), AMD Radeon HD7970, and high quality PSU like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX, PC Power and Cooling...
    With Intel about to release a new processor (Haswell) with a new socket and chipset, you may want to wait a bit to see what that offers
    Unless there is more to your needs than simply playing ARMA 3 on ultra-high settings
  2. Well if the specs you posted run ARMA 3 amazing than I'm pretty sure that they will run a lot more other games on ultra high settings. Correct? And also, why would I need an SSD would'nt a HDD do just fine?
  3. Although a HDD does do the job just fine, IMO an SSD makes a difference in many situations, not just in updates (which go from several minutes on an HDD to a few seconds on an SSD - literally), boot time is reduced to a few seconds, the computer overall will "feel snappier" (to paraphrase an article I read). Here's what Tom's has to say in their "Best SSD for the Money" article "...A reader recently wrote in to me, letting me know about a Core 2 Duo-based desktop he upgraded with a 256 GB m4. He says he's happy enough with the performance that a planned platform upgrade is getting pushed back six months. The experience with an SSD is really that different. Don't just take our word for it; you'll never look back." found here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html I wouldn't consider a new build without an SSD personally.
    The build specs I gave you should run any game at or near ultimate settings (figuring at 1080p display) and overclocking is a possibility if game requirements increase (many games respond well to overclocking)
  4. Okay I like those specs that you posted. Here are the ones I am ordering.
    I had a bad expirence with I5 processors a few years back so I chose an I7

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache
    Video Card:AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card
    HDD:2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
    Motherboard:3-way SLI/CrossFireX Support) GIGABYTE GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Ultra Durable 5, Intel C606 Chipset w/ SAS, Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi Card, 7.1 HD Audio, Dual GbLAN, 4 Gen3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI ,
    RAM: 16gb 1600 MHz Corsair

The total is $2,125 That includes the monitor, speakers, a keyboard, a mouse, the fans, the case, and the OS. So it seems like a decent deal to me. Correct?
  5. Sounds good (the price isn't bad for what you're getting) if not a tad bit overkill - I'm going to inquire here about the PSU though since everything in the machine depends upon it, in a system that level, I will suggest a SeaSonic or SeaSonic built PSU. Although there are other quality PSU manufacturers, SeaSonic is consistant in quality and design
  6. Alright, thanks for the help. Parts should be in by June 9th. I'll make another thread if i need help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Games Intel