2 way sli titan or 3 way sli gtx 780

Srikanth7

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Hi i hav i7-3820 4.6 , 16gb vengence , 128 ocz vertex 3 , asus p9x79 board , gtx 560ti and a 24" dell u2412m .... my question is that i want to upgrade my single display to 3 display setup (dell u2412m) i want tom's hardware suggestion which graphics card to choose as an upgrade (budget is no issue) ... wat should i choose 2 way sli titan or 3 way sli gtx 780 ... they prettymuch come under same price and im confused a lot ... and one morething ... will this upgrade support the future versions of direct x (i mean dx 12) ?

lloydloo

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
GTX 780 in a 3 way sli will beat the titan 2 way sli and will also have a better price/performance ratio. I don't know if nvidia will update their cards to support dx12 but i don't think they will.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
The Titan is about 10% faster than the 780. The 780 is at a much better price point. The only reason to go with the Titans is if you need more than 3gb of VRAM. At 5760x1200 more than 3gb VRAM is possible, especially if you use a lot of mods. But most games will not use more than 3gb without mods.

If you get the EVGA 780 ACX, it is just about equal to the Titan. Though you will want space between the cards with that cooler.

There is no DX12 yet, so we have no idea about that. I can only assume it won't support DX12, as the last few DX updates required new hardware

What is your resolution? Perhaps getting 2x EVGA 780 ACX would serve as a better compromise.

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013

If you're going to do Tri-SLI, you really have to think about the temperature aspect. Unless your case is enormous (e.g. a 900D) then the cards will be in three adjacent slots. The top card will be extremely hot, as will the middle card. Unless you can get cards with extremely good cooling, I recommend going dual-SLI Titans since they will be quieter and much easier to cool.
Also, you would be hard-presed to find something (even on a tri-monitor setup) which wouldn't run perfectly with two Titans, especially since they have so much VRAM.

yannickhk

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Is there anyone out there using 3 titans/780 in SLI without watercooling them ? :p

To the OP: I believe that you'd be better off with 3x780s IMO

Lucho Arrecho

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013

At the resolution he is playing 6Gb VRAM would help but still, 3X GTX780 will still beat 2X Titan, maybe wait for 6GB GTX 780? They should begin to appear soon. But Remember to get a model using the reference cooler because custom coolers in addition of being open design dumping hot air in your case they are usually a little ticker than a plain reference 2 slots card making it very difficult to fit 3 or 4 cards together.

Dubaitroll

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Im using 3way SLI with the GTX 780 Factory Overclocked by Gigabyte (3Fans each).
My configuration: i7 3970x oc to 4.8 Ghz cooled with Corsair H100i
16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 Mhz
480 GB Corsair Force GS
Asus Rampage 4 Extreme

My Problem: the Top Card reaches a Temperature of 92c
The Middle one at 85c
and the bottom one at 78c.

I think these temperatures are too high! Dont really know what the solution is. Note that these temps even arise when my case is open at one side.
If i would close the case, the temp would go up and stream through the radiators of my CPU Cooler, what results in bad cooling for my CPU. I dont even dare to
close the case. TO avoid this temp Hell i would need to install an Airplane turbine, where the noise would be so loud that gaming doesnt make fun anymore!
Thats not why i spent so much money and work to make this machine work.

The FPS are amazing reaching 230 FPS with Benchmark apps.
I used to have 2x GTX 690 stock (Asus) and didnt even reach half of 3way GTX 780 results.

My question: what could be the reason for overheating? Is there a solution?
I have a 2 year old daughter and cant keep the case open, can only play at night when she is sleeping....

Please let me know if there is a solution....

P.S. I didn't over clock with software at all since this would increase temps even more...

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts