Sign in with
Your question

AMD's HD7950 or Nvidia's GTX 660ti.. ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 24, 2013 3:00:33 AM

Greetings fellow Gamers!

Now, I've been researching quite a bit these last few nights, As i'm looking into building my first gaming PC. I've begun with looking for a good GPU that'l be suitable for my gaming needs. I plan on playing titles such as Battlefield3, Crysis3, Guild Wars2 etc.

I've been looking at these two cards, Nvidia's GTX 660ti and AMD's HD7950.

Having read over many reviews & many forum posts, It's to my understanding that the HD7950 has a brilliant over-clocking ability & is generaly better than the 660ti. For a moment I was settled on the 7950, Until I found a few Tech-Report articles claming the 660ti has a much smoother performance over-all.

Here's one of the links http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-ge...
This is confusing the hecka outa me! I am stumped as to which one to choose.
The 7950 is faster but the 660ti seems to have smoother performance?

Maybe you guys could help me out & aid me in making the right decision?

Thankyou for taking the time to read.

Kind regards, Benjjibear.

a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2013 3:26:57 AM

well, it really depends on whether you're going to CFX/SLI in the future, for a single card setup, the 7950 is the winner and overclocks like a beast, but when you consider multi GPU configurations, the gtx 660Ti is much better as AMD cards are haunted by problems. but at 1080p there wont be much of a performance difference, the 7950 will perform better as you increase the resolution because of higher memory interface and more Vram

heres a comparision of both single and multi GPU setups

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Ratin...
May 24, 2013 3:42:04 AM

notea said:
well, it really depends on whether you're going to CFX/SLI in the future, for a single card setup, the 7950 is the winner and overclocks like a beast, but when you consider multi GPU configurations, the gtx 660Ti is much better as AMD cards are haunted by problems. but at 1080p there wont be much of a performance difference, the 7950 will perform better as you increase the resolution because of higher memory interface and more Vram

Thanks for your input (: I think i'll be sticking with just the ONE card for a while.. So, even with the problem regarding the 7950's stuttery/skippy performance compared to the 660ti, The 7950 still is the better card?

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2013 3:51:01 AM

Benjjibear said:
notea said:

Thanks for your input (: I think i'll be sticking with just the ONE card for a while.. So, even with the problem regarding the 7950's stuttery/skippy performance compared to the 660ti, The 7950 still is the better card?

it is the better card in terms of raw performance, but only marginally, and considering the stuttering, AMD cards have had these problems, i really dont know if the stutters are still there in the new drivers
if it were me, id get the 660Ti as nvidia's drivers are better, plus the 660Ti consumes less power and is more quiet, you cant go wrong with the 660Ti, and new nvidia drivers are out which will improve the performance a bit more

techpowerup rates the 660Ti higher than the 7950
May 24, 2013 5:48:14 AM

notea said:
Benjjibear said:
notea said:

it is the better card in terms of raw performance, but only marginally, and considering the stuttering, AMD cards have had these problems, i really dont know if the stutters are still there in the new drivers
if it were me, id get the 660Ti as nvidia's drivers are better, plus the 660Ti consumes less power and is more quiet, you cant go wrong with the 660Ti, and new nvidia drivers are out which will improve the performance a bit more

techpowerup rates the 660Ti higher than the 7950

Oh, okay sweet! The 660ti looks pretty good at this point, I think i'll definately pick one up (:

Thankyou.

!