Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
My Computer specs are:
Inter Core i5-2500k CPU @3.3 GHz and i overclocked it to 4.0GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 670
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1600MHz
Mobo:Asus P8Z77-V LK
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

I had a BSOD yesterday and another one just happened today. Im really worried something is wrong the BSOD said "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval." What does that mean? Is it because i overclocked my CPU? Or is there something wrong with my CPU in general? Please help. I just started happening too. Ive had my CPU overclocked for about 2 months.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Your OC might be unstable. Try bumping up the voltage 1 notch and see if you get the same problem. When does it happen? Can you still turn on the computer? Is it after a couple of hours of use? Give some more details.

TheMadskater

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013

I have a SeaSonic 750W 80 Plus Gold PSU

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Your PSU definitely isn't the problem then. Your PC won't use more than 400W at max load. And that's a solid PSU as well. Try bumping up the voltage 2 options up in your BIOS. Are your temps okay though? What CPU cooler are you using? And have you tried stress testing your system as well with something like Prime95 blend for an extended period of time, like 4 hours? With Sandy Bridge you don't want your temps to get above 85c. You should monitor your temps with RealTemp. http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/Real_Temp/

TheMadskater

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013

It happens when im in the middle of watching a YouTube video. I can still turn on the computer after it happens. Yea I just got on it like maybe a little over and hour before it happened. I'll just be watching a video then it freezes and that weird noise happens when you get BSOD. It'll freeze for like 10-15 seconds then the blues screen comes on. I don't know why it does it. I'm scared I might have to replace the CPU. It's OCed at 4.0GHz and my voltage is the default

TheMadskater

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013

My temps are good. They're about 40c ish. I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. I stress tested for about 6 hours and nothing went wrong and I didn't see any problems. It just started out of no were. What voltage should I bring it up to? In my BIOS it just jumps between 1.096V and 1.112V

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Well if you're only running at 40c why don't you just go for a higher OC? You might want to try setting the multiplier at 45 for 4.5GHz and set the voltage at 1.27V and check your temps and see if it's stable. If you want to keep your 4GHz though, try setting the voltage at 1.15V. Every chip is different. Some chips require higher volts than average for lower clock speeds and then can run really high OCs at a much lower voltage than other CPUs and vice versa. Some people can't get their CPU passed 4.5GHz no matter how much voltage they give it and some can get to 5GHz at something as low as 1.15V. It's called the silicon lottery. You just gotta be lucky. I personally need 1.39V just to get 4.7 and 1.5V for 4.8. But temps play a role in stability too. Lower temps may increase stability depending on the CPU. But it might not even be your CPU causing the problem, but because you said it happens randomly and you get that annoying and scary buzzing sound and then a BSoD, it definitely sounds like an unstable OC. Some CPUs can run Prime95 for a week and be 100% stable then run something like Battlefield 3 and crash after 10 minutes. That's why you gotta run Prime and then do some gaming and normal use, such as watching YouTube videos.

TheMadskater

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013

I just put it at 1.15V and it blue screened twice. It would start windows for some reason then it blue screened. I restarted the computer and it happened again. But the blue screens disappeared so fast I couldn't read what it said. I'm really getting worried now. I just set it back to default voltage and then it let me start windows.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Definitely strange. Try resetting your BIOS back to absolute default. There should be a reset CMOS jumper or button on the motherboard. Look through your manual if you don't know. You could also try turning off your PSU, turning on your computer letting all remaining power drain from the system, and then removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard for a minute and then putting it back in to do a complete reset of the BIOS. You will have to reconfigure the BIOS which can be a pain in the ass if you're like me and has everything customized, but it should do the trick. If not, something else may be dying in your system.

TheMadskater

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013

I just reset the BIOS to default and then put my overclock setting back in. I'll I changed when I overclocked was changing all the cores to 40 to make it 4.0GHz. Is there anything else I should try? And if this continues to happen will i have to replace my CPU?

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
"I'll I changed when I overclocked was changing all the cores to 40 to make it 4.0GHz."

Haha what? I don't understand what you're trying to tell me :lol: But for now you should just leave everything at stock and see what happens. If everything is working then try to OC again.

TheMadskater

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013

Hahaha i just now realized that. Sorry about that. I meant to say all i changed when i overclocked was changing all the cores to 40 to make it 4.0GHz.

TheMadskater

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013

Oh haha. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again