Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Mobo Dying?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 24, 2013 7:34:33 PM

Lately I have been having trouble starting my computer. It does not always pass the BIOS screen, I have to manually power it down the try again. It also has been having problems loading the correct BIOS settings. Sometimes it says that the overclocking failed (even though I'm not overclocking) and gives me the option to either load default values or select them... When I go to select them, the RAM are defaulted to different values almost every time.

And now, finally, the thing tends to not even power up sometimes when I go to turn it on. The lights in the case kind of come on, but not fully, but the computer never actually fires up. Again, I have to manually power down, then try again.

My first thought was that the power supply was being overdone, but given that the BIOS option screen often fails to move past, I'm thinking this mobo is dying. It's had small problems from the beginning (e.g. on board audio has never worked), but I let it slide because, for example, I had an audio card handy.

Also, it got worse when I installed a front panel device (extra USBs and so on), but I think that's because I restarted it when I did so. I unplugged power to the thing, and still had the troubles described above.

Anyway, I updated the BIOS on this mobo a little while back, so it's recent, but it was a while after doing so that these problems have shown up.

If it matters, the mobo is an ASUS M45A88TD-V EVO/USB3, running a phenom 1100.

What do the vets think? Dying mobo?

More about : asus mobo dying

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 164 V Motherboard
May 24, 2013 8:19:53 PM

Are there any yellow markers showing in device manager? Sounds to me like you need to set up the correct voltage and timings of your memory sticks for one.
May 24, 2013 10:23:59 PM

i do set them up and re-set them up all the time, they seem to reset themselves improperly when rebooting?

there has been a yellow guy next to a PCI input device in the device manager forever. i don't know what it could be, the only pci inputs i have is a sound card which is functioning, and an internet card which is functioning, and newer than the yellow flag.
Related resources
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
May 24, 2013 10:31:24 PM

Hi, I would firstly try replacing the CMOS battery with a new one. It might be a dying battery.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 164 V Motherboard
May 24, 2013 10:39:24 PM

Update all of your drivers? What kind of memory do you have?
May 24, 2013 10:57:39 PM

The battery was the first thing I thought, however, this is not a behavior of dying batteries, also anything is possible. On a second thought... I had similar problems with workstation- thought- I have a ghost inside, instead of Intel. I lost 3 hard drives, memory sticks, and DVD drive. At the end- I ran out of options and decided to change the motherboard. After I replaced motherboard and D drive (this time), I gained stability. However, I still had crashes and instabilities when running software. I gave up and build new system, but now when I turn this system on, it says, the battery is low. It does not change BIOS settings, but it forgets date and time. I continue using it without replacing the batteries and it works (not doing any demanding computation on it as everything moved to new system). Bottom line- it can be anything. It can be more than one problem. If the battery dead, it should still be able to boot. One thing I did not change and I should of long time ago was power supply. I had 350 PSU supporting 3 SCSI H-Drives and sound card. This behavior reminds me dying HD. Read the black screen. Usually it should tell if it is hard drive or memory. If you not getting any numbers or codes- then it is not HD or Memory. You can change the battery, but it will not fix all problems. In my case- changing motherboard helped, but did not cure everything either.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 164 V Motherboard
May 26, 2013 7:43:20 PM

Memory like that is hard to find a stable configuration on an AMD board. It is hard enough with an Intel based board. I would slow it down and start experimenting with something like 10-10-10-30. When timing is mixed like both of your kits are are it is a real pain sometimes.

Does the memory default back to 1333Mhz?

May 26, 2013 7:52:59 PM

lately the patriot memory has been defaulting back to 1333, but there were times it defaulted back to 800-something, 10-something... very strange.

the timings and voltages are listed for the ram, which i had set, so..?

thing is, this wasn't an issue a year ago.

also, why is it hard to use memory like that on an amd board, i'm wondering?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 164 V Motherboard
May 26, 2013 8:01:44 PM

I think that your memory is probably designed for an Intel based board & CPU. Do you start by setting "optimized defaults?" Then attempt to set up the memory, etc?
!