EA: PS4, XBox One Are a 'Generation Ahead' of Gaming PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
It's a real shame that the industry of video games has become so corrupted that it's no better than any other US corporate entity. Just spew some trash, customers are just marks for you to trick into buying your product, not someone you need to actually please, right EA? Can't wait until it collapses on itself and the indies can resurrect the industry.

thehelix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Best joke i've heard for some time now.. If gaming consoles are so far ahead, then why use hardware and architecture of a pc then? XBOX1 and PS4 ARE gaming PC's with innate limitations...

Noltz

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Hahaha seriously? Haven't had a good laugh for a while, can't wait for those console die hards to start acting tough and superior.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I have a hard time seeing this. Maybe a generation ahead on performance to watt or performance to cycle but even if some genius some how removed all wasted clock cycles for bad code, cache misses, and HW to SW inter-layer overhead and latencies... I can still not imagine this is possible.
He must be trying to create a push for the lucrative console market over the PC.

Update. It is possible he is referring to the new consoles in combination with the cloud computing back-end. If so, I wonder if this is the 'Radeon Sky' that AMD was working on. To my knowlege no consumer GPUs are making use of this feature yet.

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012
As far as I see the conoles only have kaveri features (Gddr5, Huma.. iirc) as something that is "ahead" of todays computer hardware.

Benthon

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
What a stupid thing to say. EA is just trying to generate hype. Anyone that knows anything about the hardware and gaming potential of PC's knows this is just blantantly wrong.

RazorBurn

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
i almost drop my balls to the ground reading this article.. Are they serious?
My i7 3770k oc to 4.7ghz, 32gig Dual Channel DD3 2133mhz RAM, with SLI Geforce GTX 680 is a generation behind the Xbox One and PS4? That EA dude should unhero himself..

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I stopped reading at "He claims that both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are somehow five years ahead of the most extravagant PCs..."
While the next gen consoles will definitely bring a lot of improvement to console gaming, they are in no way ahead of PC gaming.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I wouldn't completely agree, but at the same time, don't be surprised if some games designed for next gen consoles run slower on your high-end $3,000 gaming machine, despite it having significantly more theoretical horsepower.

There are several reasons for this. Both of the new consoles use a Unified Memory Architecture (UMA). That means that the same memory is accessible to both the CPU and GPU. That means that techniques involving the use of both processors on the same data could be significantly faster on the consoles than they are on your PC. It also means that game developers can use a large portion of the available system memory for storing high-res models and textures if they choose. Even high-end PC graphics cards don't usually have more than 3GB of memory today. So there could be issues with running out of video memory in the PC versions of games.

The second factor is resolution and image quality expectations. A lot of people who buy an expensive gaming PC don't want to play at 1080p, and they want to run with higher levels of AA and other settings to enhance the image quality. That doesn't apply to 1080p TVs however that are significantly further away from the player. So while it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, you may need more graphical horsepower to drive your PC display that's 30 inches away than your TV that's 10 feet away.

And then finally of course there's the oft-stated issue of overhead. Because PC hardware can be combined in a variety of configurations, access to the graphics is provided through a compatibility layer like DirectX or OpenGL, which in turn interfaces with the drivers for the videocard, before finally getting to the hardware. That allows the game code to - for the most part - not have to worry about exactly what hardware the game is going to run on. You can play most games regardless of what CPU or GPU you happen to have. However, the existence of those layers also introduces overhead, reducing performance.

On a side note, why doesn't the comments section on the article page itself support paragraphs? It removes all of the line spacing, making long posts look like a wall of text. You have to go to the forum-type interface if you want line spacing.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
People like Rajat Taneja are still trying to carry off a snow job in a world where that is increasingly impossible to carry off, because world communication and the ability to find facts is so much better than it used to be. All he does with his statement here is show either his ignorance or his desire to manipulate people with incorrect information, or both.
EA certainly doesn't need any more bad press; Taneja did his company no favors here.

frillybob101

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
What an idiotic man. Sure consoles may be cheaper but really? PC's ARE SO MUCH better. And this is coming from an XBOX 360 and a WII U owner plus a high end build.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
If you are saying these consoles with current gen AMD architecture are "These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics,"...
Then seriously, I really want to see you hardware configuration...

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012
As far as I see the conoles only have kaveri features (Gddr5, Huma.. iirc) as something that is "ahead" of todays computer hardware.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Give me an i7-3970x, quad sli titans, 6 512gb samsung 840 pros, and 32gb of dd3 2800. This will destroy any xbox ps or wii.

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I'm used to this ignorant drivel from uneducated idiots, but coming from EA it just reaks of self pandering and lies. God; please smite EA.

Status
Not open for further replies.