Eee PC 900W need help please!!

Traceybee

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Hi everyone.....please help!!

My sons laptop has crashed and when he turns it on it does up with a black screen that says windows did not start successfully.
It then says it can be started in safe mode, safe mode with networking etc...

When we try to start windows normally (another option) it counts down but when it gets to zero nothing happens....if we push the return button everything freezes and nothing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions please.....your help is appreciated.

Thank you

Power it up and immediately start pressing Function 8 several times until you see the Advanced Boot menu then select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". That wlil stall the startup at a blue screen with a Stop error message with a numeric code - 0x0000?? and SOME_WORDS_JOINED_UP by underscores. Please post those details back here and someone will advise you further. The problem is within the XP operating system and can be fixed so don't worry - there's almost certainly nothing wrong with the netbook itself.

Traceybee

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Thank you Saga Lout for your answer, it worked up to the point of " Disable automatic restart", I moved the arrow to that option but there is no blue screen and no numbers??......the screen is black and says Microsoft windows XL home edition

I can return to the disable screen but can get no further......any ideas??

Thank you in advance x

I take it therefore that none of the other options in the Advanced Boot menu take you anywhere. Do you have an XP Home CD? Do you have a PC monitor in the house to which you could connect the laptop to prove it isn't the screen that fails on anything more complex than white writing on a black screen?

Sorry there are more questions than answers at this stage.

Traceybee

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Hi saga lout,

I have connected the pc to another screen but exactly the same happens.

The only cd I have is an EEE PC support DVD REV .1.1

Would is be of any use?

Kindest regards

I doubt a support disk would help with repairing or replacing the installation and you would need to buy an external USB CD/DVD ROM drive to find out. I think the hard disk needs to come out so Checkdisk and the System File Checker can run when it's slaved to another system. Are you up for taking the disk out or would you prefer to find a PC Fixer in your area?

Underneath the EeePC 904HD I'm posting from is a removeable hatch held on by two Pozidrive screws. Remove that and the hard disk is beneath it and it will also be held in by screws (haven't looked lately) and will need to slide out of its connector. You wll them need a converter to be able to connect it by USB to another computer. A good PC shop will sell you one - if you're in the UK, Maplin is a good bet. I'll take mine to bits in a while and post back but the need for the converter may put a do-it-yourself job beyond economic reason. It may be cheaper to take the drive out and take it to a fixer to use his or her equipment to connect it up and run the Checkdisk test.

Assuming your is similar to mine, turn it off and upend it so you have the battery nearest to you. Slide the battery locking clips away from each other to free the battery and remove it towards you. The two screws nearest the battery hatch hold down the cover that you need to remove to access the hard disk. Take those out and then remove the two screws holding the disk in. The disk is about three inches by two and has a black plastic finger tab on it. Use that to slide the disk to your left and out it comes.

The converter you're looking for is similar to this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Sata-to-USB-Hard-Drive-Caddy-HDD-Case-Enclosure-7889-UK-/400498119036?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item5d3f8c517c and your country's e-Bay site will have them for similar money. When it arrives, you just need the cable and the black plastic cap from the caddy (box) - there's no need to house the disk for your purposes. Connect it to another computer and when it's drive letter shows up in My Computer, go from Start to Run and in the Open box type cmd then hit Enter.

At the Command Prompt on the black screen, type
chkdsk x: /r
and x is whatever the drive letter is. Hit Enter and a five stage process will start. Let it run and the /r switch will seek out and attempt to repair any bad clusters or sectors it finds.

When it completes, take the opportunity to copy any files or entire folders you want to save and paste them into the main computer. Pop the disk out of the caddy end and replace it to the netbook - screw down the hatch and put the battery back in then see how it goes from there.
Good luck - as with all written instructions, the job is easier to do than to read about.

Traceybee

Honorable
May 25, 2013

Traceybee

Honorable
May 25, 2013
Hi,

I got the hard drive out and have attached it to the converter and plugged it via USB to my computer but now I'm stuck!
The main comp has found the converter but is not showing any letter and there is nothing to go from start to run??...am I being thick or just daft??

You're help is greatly appreciated

Many thanks

You need to hit the Start button on the main computer, alternatively, press the Windows key and R together. Did it really take a year to get around to doing this or did you go on a round the world tour :D?

Traceybee

Honorable
May 25, 2013

Hi Saga Lout,

I'm ashamed to admit that it has taken me a year to get round to doing this and unfortunately haven't been on a round the world tour.....in my dreams!!!.

I will try this in the morning....please be prepared....I may need more of your fabulous help!!

As always thanks from around the world
:)