Windows 7 no longer detects network adapter

Banquo

Honorable
May 25, 2013
I built a computer probably months ago. It runs on Windows 7 and I've never had any issues.

Today I bought some new wireless headphones. I plugged in the cord to the USB port and the computer freaked out and crashed. Fans went crazy, screened turned black, and I had to hold down the power button to power down. The computer restarted and everything loaded up fine...until I tried to connect to the internet.

The computer wasn't connecting, so I used the troubleshoot button and I got this message:

"Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

So...

1. I don't recall what network adapter I have, otherwise I'd go to the website, download the driver on a flashdrive and attempt to re-install that way. Is there a way to find out without opening up the tower?

2. Windows doesn't even list a network adapter any more. But I can connect wirelessly with my laptop, so I assume it's a hardware issue. What's the best way to go about fixing this?

Banquo

Honorable
May 25, 2013
More info:

I found out my network adapter is RealTek. I tried to reinstall the drivers (I found that I had them on a flash drive), and I get the old "The RealTek Network Adapter/Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode enabled Please Plug the Cable" junk.

I'm going for a clean install of windows, so I'll see if that works, I guess. FML

GamingFanboy

Honorable
May 25, 2013
I had a similar problem. What I ended up having to do was completely clear our the old drivers with a 3rd party application as well as delete my connection from the network list. Then I found my exact motherboard brand and model, went to their website and downloaded a packet driver pack (example A775-A800 mobo packet) rebooted and was able to connect. Hope this helps. Only problem is I had to use another PC, Can you have a friend email it to you and put in on the system via smartphone?

Banquo

Honorable
May 25, 2013
I could probably just use my laptop and flash drive since I can still connect wirelessly. I'm almost done with the clean install, but I'm banking on still having the issue since it seems like this is a major problem that doesn't seem to have a universal solution.

I assume a clean install of windows 7 would delete my connections/clear out all drivers, right?

Banquo

Honorable
May 25, 2013
I ended up doing a clean install and downloading all drivers on a flashdrive. Appears that the problem is solved. I hate computers.