ATI 4870 x2
Seagate 250GB HDD 5400RPM
500 PSU
Gigabyte Motherboard
NZXT Case

Problems:

-It takes me 15 minutes to start up my computer
-I cant even start up BF3 without crashing
-Every game I play (EVEN MINECRAFT) I have to run on some of the lowest resolutions on the minimal possible settings just so the game has playable FPS.
-Even running google chrome and playing youtube videos is really slow
-The computer is about 3 1/2 years old

Please any help would be great. I will be getting a new computer sometime in September or so and I cant use this terrible computer until then. Its literally slower than my Dads Dell Inspiron from 1998. HELP!

Also should I get the 7970 GHz Edition or wait until the 9970?

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
First, the specs that you've given are not helping much. What Gigabyte motherboard? What "500W" PSU?

Okay, now to your problem.

1) Start up slow is because your 5400 RPM HDD. 5400 RPM is very slow even when compared to 7200 RPM. That is the problem. But if it takes 15 minutes to boot, maybe your OS is corrupted, and need a clean install.
2) That indicates system instability. Your card is technically a dual graphics card. So it need a lot of juice to power it. Your "500W" PSU cannot keep up.
3 & 4 is the same as 2).

Give us a complete specs first.

First, how many programs start with Windows? With only 2Gb of memory you'll need to trim the startup to the bone if you're going to see any reasonable boot times.
Check Task Manager and see if anything is using a lot of CPU/memory and see how much load is on the GPU at idle-if you do n't already have it installed GPU-Z is a great little freebie monitoring tool for graphic cards BTW.
What power supply is installed? make and model are important particularly since the 4870x2 is quite a power hog and PSU quality varies widely.