sabertooth 990fx bios help

mrhayler

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
so i made a new build with a fx 8350 in a asus sabertooth 990fx R2.0 mobo, when i try to access the bios the screen just turns black, ive been using the pc for a few weeks fine never went into bios till now, did i need to flash the bios to use this cpu and if so how as i dont have an old cpu to use to flash it,. also when i start the pc up a red light flashes on the mobo was just wondering if thats saying theres an error.

Hi,
You can use the flashback for flashing the BIOS (no need to access the BIOS).
There's a barcode sticker on the motherboard. The last 4 digits on that sticker stand for the board's BIOS version.
CPU-Z would also provide the info, or the starting screen.

mrhayler

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
thanks for helping so i found out my version of bios is 1503 which is outdated for my CPU which is why i cant access the bios. but my flashback button when i press it down doesn't do anything so i have no idea how to change it. also when it comes to the memory stick that your flashing i have no idea how to set it up or what to do with the bios file ive downloaded.

Unzip the downloaded file and rename it to ST990R20.CAP
Format the memory stick as FAT 32. Save the ST990R20.CAP file on it.
Plug the memory stick into the Flashback USB port - the one near the gray audio port.
Don't start the board, just make sure that the power supply is connected to the board and on.
Press the Flashback button for 3 seconds.
Wait until the process finishes.