Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building the Strongest and Fastest gaming rig to last 10 years, need help!!!

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 26, 2013 6:15:12 PM

My friend wants to build the best gaming rig out there. He wants to use it for 10 years or more without upgrading anything.

He currently has:

1) Thermaltake Level 10 GT Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Case
2) LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive
3) 480GB PNY Prevail SSD / 4TB Serial ATA/600 64MB Buffer 7200RPM HDD
4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 32GB 1866MHz (4x8GB) Modules
5) ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Intel Motherboard
6) Two -- Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.5GHz
7) Four -- GeForce GTX Titan SuperClocked Signature 6GB 384-bit, SLI
8) EVGA Classified 1500w PSU
9) Asus Essence STX sound card
10) OS Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Does this build work well together? Does he need to buy anything else? He already has all the parts and is waiting for an answer before assembling it. He is planning to play Crysis 3 and the upcoming bf4 in max setting. He also wants to play future high end games on maximum settings without upgrading the rig.

Cost is NOT an issue and again, he wants to use it for more than 10 years without upgrading, so if there is something better than stated please do share. Thanks!
May 26, 2013 6:22:14 PM

My Friend

According to moor's law computers will double its power every 6 months. So The GTX Titan will be 20X outdated than the GPU in 10 years. So the build today is BOUND to be outdated in 10 years.

Instead if you upgrade in little stint it will be much more efficient
May 26, 2013 6:30:48 PM

Well if cost isnt an issue, just buy a new computer every 2 years with near top of the line parts. Enthusiast cards like the Titan is insanely priced and already cost as much as a near top of the line computer on its own. For 2 grand you can get yourself a damn awesome computer right now. In 2 years you get the next greatest video card (and PSU as needed) or if cost truly isnt an issue just do a brand new build with the parts that exist in the future.

Think of it this way. He prolly spent like 4-5 grand on those parts and no matter what, in 3-4 years Battlefield 5 or Crysis 5 on ultra settings will make the Titan chug. Best to spend 2 grand now on a good system and plan to new build every 3 years while swapping out vid cards every 18 months to 24 months. Two years from now we'll get the gtx 9xx series video cards that will make the Titan look pedestrian and prolly only cost 600 dollars max. So the best thing he should do is return everything, get near top line stuff at reasonable prices and earmark 2 grand every 2 years to buy new stuff.

Now of course if he just wants to brag to all of his friends that he's got the most expensive rig possible and that it'll last forever blah blah. Well then, thats his choice, but the smart thing to do is to plan your new builds/upgrades as technology inexorably marches on.

10 years.... i swear this almost sounds like troll bait.
Related resources
May 26, 2013 6:44:56 PM

vae victus said:
Well if cost isnt an issue, just buy a new computer every 2 years with near top of the line parts. Enthusiast cards like the Titan is insanely priced and already cost as much as a near top of the line computer on its own. For 2 grand you can get yourself a damn awesome computer right now. In 2 years you get the next greatest video card (and PSU as needed) or if cost truly isnt an issue just do a brand new build with the parts that exist in the future.

Think of it this way. He prolly spent like 4-5 grand on those parts and no matter what, in 3-4 years Battlefield 5 or Crysis 5 on ultra settings will make the Titan chug. Best to spend 2 grand now on a good system and plan to new build every 3 years while swapping out vid cards every 18 months to 24 months. Two years from now we'll get the gtx 9xx series video cards that will make the Titan look pedestrian and prolly only cost 600 dollars max. So the best thing he should do is return everything, get near top line stuff at reasonable prices and earmark 2 grand every 2 years to buy new stuff.

Now of course if he just wants to brag to all of his friends that he's got the most expensive rig possible and that it'll last forever blah blah. Well then, thats his choice, but the smart thing to do is to plan your new builds/upgrades as technology inexorably marches on.

10 years.... i swear this almost sounds like troll bait.


Like he said if you got a heck ton of money laying around then just spend money every 2-3 years instead of spending 15 grand that won't even last 3.

Get a good i5 and sli a 670 and that will be nice computer



a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2013 6:49:40 PM

I guess.he doesnt overclock,,. This build can be made 300-400$ cheaper

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Titanium Grey) ATX Full Tower Case ($122.03 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1742.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-26 21:43 EDT-0400)
May 26, 2013 6:54:11 PM

Marcopolo123 said:
I guess.he doesnt overclock,,. This build can be made 300-400$ cheaper

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($178.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Titanium Grey) ATX Full Tower Case ($122.03 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1742.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-26 21:43 EDT-0400)


Is it really necessary for a gtx 780. I mean if you wanna showcase your rig and put it on instagram then go ahead.

there are other cheaper gpu that will run games on ultra

May 26, 2013 7:03:12 PM

$4000 build in 2004. It was recording computer- I did not want to move all data on another computer- thought- it will work at least 8 years. By now- the only original parts in it are the power supply and processor. I had to replace 3 out of 4 HDDs, DVD drive, all memory and motherboard. It works today but the today's software does not support Win. XP. I had to reload Windows and move all the data at least 5 times for different reasons. Tell your friend to not do it. Back in 2004, I got Pentium 4 single 3.6 processor. It was top line best deal available. Now day- will it impress anyone that I have 3.6 Pentium 4 single? I mean- it works and feels pretty good still, but I can not install any of newer games on it, because Videocards not compatible, Win. XP not supported, and so on. Not worth it. Keep it down to $2000 and rebuild in 5 years.
May 26, 2013 9:00:20 PM

Should he add another psu or is 1500w enough
May 26, 2013 9:32:19 PM

Wait wtf... 4!?!?!?!? TITANS?!?!?!?! What in gods name does he need 4 TITANS for?!?! Be a 1 man PC game developer?!?

Stephanie Cohen, if you want to be a good friend, tell him that he doesnt need all of that and to just buy a new computer every 2 years. The amount being spent right there is totally insane, as parts become obsolete so fast in this day and age.

In fact tell him to cram all of those parts in a computer would likely make it blow up like Hiroshima after plugging it in. That no computer can handle 4 Titans stuffed in a crate and that he's risking his computer blowing up on him in 6 months if he tries. Go with the previous posters recommendations on parts and he's golden. Sure maybe splurge on a 42 inch monitor, or 32 gigs of RAM, and some fancy ass speakers, if he's simply itching to spend money. At least with those u can use them again in a future build.

I'm starting to think we're getting trolled here.
May 26, 2013 11:25:52 PM

vae victus said:
Wait wtf... 4!?!?!?!? TITANS?!?!?!?! What in gods name does he need 4 TITANS for?!?! Be a 1 man PC game developer?!?

Stephanie Cohen, if you want to be a good friend, tell him that he doesnt need all of that and to just buy a new computer every 2 years. The amount being spent right there is totally insane, as parts become obsolete so fast in this day and age.

In fact tell him to cram all of those parts in a computer would likely make it blow up like Hiroshima after plugging it in. That no computer can handle 4 Titans stuffed in a crate and that he's risking his computer blowing up on him in 6 months if he tries. Go with the previous posters recommendations on parts and he's golden. Sure maybe splurge on a 42 inch monitor, or 32 gigs of RAM, and some fancy ass speakers, if he's simply itching to spend money. At least with those u can use them again in a future build.

I'm starting to think we're getting trolled here.


Well, he said he was going to play on a 82 inch tv and 11.0 surround sound speakers. And I don't know much about computers, but he said he needed higher frame rates to support such a wide screen.
May 27, 2013 12:06:15 AM

Stephanie Cohen said:
vae victus said:
Wait wtf... 4!?!?!?!? TITANS?!?!?!?! What in gods name does he need 4 TITANS for?!?! Be a 1 man PC game developer?!?

Stephanie Cohen, if you want to be a good friend, tell him that he doesnt need all of that and to just buy a new computer every 2 years. The amount being spent right there is totally insane, as parts become obsolete so fast in this day and age.

In fact tell him to cram all of those parts in a computer would likely make it blow up like Hiroshima after plugging it in. That no computer can handle 4 Titans stuffed in a crate and that he's risking his computer blowing up on him in 6 months if he tries. Go with the previous posters recommendations on parts and he's golden. Sure maybe splurge on a 42 inch monitor, or 32 gigs of RAM, and some fancy ass speakers, if he's simply itching to spend money. At least with those u can use them again in a future build.

I'm starting to think we're getting trolled here.


Well, he said he was going to play on a 82 inch tv and 11.0 surround sound speakers. And I don't know much about computers, but he said he needed higher frame rates to support such a wide screen.


Gaming performance has to do with resolution, not screen size.... He's wasting money by dumping it all at once.
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2013 1:58:00 AM

As everyone has stated your friend will be wasting money on such a build, it is better to just go with their recommendations on the budget and than rebuild it every couple years. Trust us on this, we know computers and some of us know it VERY well. This is one of those if everyone is screaming at you telling you to don't do something, there is probably a good reason why they are telling you, especially when you come someplace seeking advice.
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2013 3:39:24 AM

first of all, your build listed doesnt even work due to the 3970x not being able to run in a dual socket board. and second, forget about futureproofing. as listed above, 10 years ago, a pentium 4 may have been top end, but its practically useless now other than for word processing
May 27, 2013 12:43:47 PM

TheBigTroll said:
first of all, your build listed doesnt even work due to the 3970x not being able to run in a dual socket board. and second, forget about futureproofing. as listed above, 10 years ago, a pentium 4 may have been top end, but its practically useless now other than for word processing


would a dual 3770x work?
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2013 12:45:49 PM

no
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
May 27, 2013 2:35:43 PM

scroll up
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
May 27, 2013 3:00:44 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($1003.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme11 EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($595.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($434.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive ($219.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive ($219.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (4-Way SLI) ($1023.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (4-Way SLI) ($1023.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (4-Way SLI) ($1023.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (4-Way SLI) ($1023.98 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Phoebus 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake VN10006W2N-B ATX Full Tower Case ($384.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA Classified 1500W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($407.85 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($66.31 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $8399.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-27 17:59 EDT-0400)

As everyone said, this build is a waste of money. If he has money and wants a flashy build, I can easily do so for 2-3K
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2013 3:40:59 PM

^ yeah, i can cut that in 1/8th and still get proper performance
a b V Motherboard
a c 273 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
a b å Intel
May 27, 2013 3:47:29 PM

Fallensegal said:
My Friend

According to moor's law computers will double its power every 6 months. So The GTX Titan will be 20X outdated than the GPU in 10 years. So the build today is BOUND to be outdated in 10 years.

Instead if you upgrade in little stint it will be much more efficient


Yes, this is absolutely correct. In layman's terms Moore's law states that the number of transistors in a CPU will double, but the speed of the processors necessarily won't. But you can definitely expect that if you pay $6K for a rig now, you essentially overpaid by about $4K. A $2K rig will last you quite a while now but if you plan to upgrade it incrementally every three years or so, it will last you the ten years you want to get out of it. But by paying this much for a rig now, it will depreciate in value extremely quickly, then you will regret having spent all that money.
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
May 27, 2013 3:53:21 PM

TheBigTroll said:
^ yeah, i can cut that in 1/8th and still get proper performance


I even said that he could build a capable rig for $2-3K
May 27, 2013 4:23:16 PM

So should it basically take out the gpu and cpu for something cheaper?
May 27, 2013 4:34:58 PM

Stephanie Cohen said:
So should it basically take out the gpu and cpu for something cheaper?


Yes, and half the RAM, scale down the PSU and be thankful that the kind people on here have stopped your friend from making the biggest mistake of his life. Just go with any one of the recommended builds posted by the other users, just by god don't use the originally posted rig. And after all this, please don't reveal that this is all a troll attempt, it's happened before.
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2013 4:51:08 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($11.93 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ Z Series Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.94 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1524.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-27 19:44 EDT-0400)

I just buy the mobo from newegg so you get one of the 8gb sticks of ram for free, than I threw in the other just to make it dual channel. Can your friend get more performance with the money they are willing to spend, yes. Is it worth it, no not really a build such as this will get them majority of the performance for a fraction of the price. The only thing I do is throw in a SSD, I didn't bother as I don't know how much stuff they want to cram onto it, whether it be a boot drive or something to cram the OS and a bunch of programs on. So I left that up to you.

I will admit you can use better mobo's, ram, etc to squeeze out a slightly better OC but unless your going for a max overclock for bragging rights I don't see a point in investing too much more into those areas as they will provide little increase in gaming performance. This build was more of my take on "budget" performance build if I had cash to burn.

Than in 2-3 years swap out the mobo/ram/cpu/gpu/heatsink as an upgrade, and than the next time you upgrade swap out the PSU in the process. Rinse and repeat. Thats what I would personally do.
a b V Motherboard
a c 273 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
a b å Intel
May 27, 2013 4:51:39 PM

Flightsimluke said:
Stephanie Cohen said:
So should it basically take out the gpu and cpu for something cheaper?


Yes, and half the RAM, scale down the PSU and be thankful that the kind people on here have stopped your friend from making the biggest mistake of his life. Just go with any one of the recommended builds posted by the other users, just by god don't use the originally posted rig. And after all this, please don't reveal that this is all a troll attempt, it's happened before.


Yeah it would seriously be a massive mistake to spend that much on a rig. One thing people don't take into account when buying expensive items like this is depreciation. Everything depreciates in value. And some things depreciate more quickly than others. That PC now will be worth almost nothing in ten years when you go to sell it. Paying more for a part will not ensure its' longevity, it just means you paid more for a part.
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2013 5:10:33 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Flightsimluke said:
Stephanie Cohen said:
So should it basically take out the gpu and cpu for something cheaper?


Yes, and half the RAM, scale down the PSU and be thankful that the kind people on here have stopped your friend from making the biggest mistake of his life. Just go with any one of the recommended builds posted by the other users, just by god don't use the originally posted rig. And after all this, please don't reveal that this is all a troll attempt, it's happened before.


Yeah it would seriously be a massive mistake to spend that much on a rig. One thing people don't take into account when buying expensive items like this is depreciation. Everything depreciates in value. And some things depreciate more quickly than others. That PC now will be worth almost nothing in ten years when you go to sell it. Paying more for a part will not ensure its' longevity, it just means you paid more for a part.


Personally I like to operate on the basis that the computer will be worthless the second I own it and never factor in the ability to resale it. As no matter how good a PC is years down the road it be obsolete, as someone has stated a PC 10years ago which was top of the line is hard to get rid of now. It is pointless to sale and you have to give it away. I just gave away 2 p4's to a friend to use as a backup computers as his is getting up there in years, nothing was wrong with them they ran perfectly fine I just couldn't sale them even if I tried so it was either that or drive down to an e-waste place and get rid of it.

Look at our cellphones which may be a better example to most people. A phone from 2003 to now is vastly different, i doubt anyone would even buy one made from back than, let alone be able to give it away. They are prehistoric by todays standards.
May 27, 2013 5:28:33 PM

assasin32 said:
g-unit1111 said:
Flightsimluke said:
Stephanie Cohen said:
So should it basically take out the gpu and cpu for something cheaper?


Yes, and half the RAM, scale down the PSU and be thankful that the kind people on here have stopped your friend from making the biggest mistake of his life. Just go with any one of the recommended builds posted by the other users, just by god don't use the originally posted rig. And after all this, please don't reveal that this is all a troll attempt, it's happened before.


Yeah it would seriously be a massive mistake to spend that much on a rig. One thing people don't take into account when buying expensive items like this is depreciation. Everything depreciates in value. And some things depreciate more quickly than others. That PC now will be worth almost nothing in ten years when you go to sell it. Paying more for a part will not ensure its' longevity, it just means you paid more for a part.


Personally I like to operate on the basis that the computer will be worthless the second I own it and never factor in the ability to resale it. As no matter how good a PC is years down the road it be obsolete, as someone has stated a PC 10years ago which was top of the line is hard to get rid of now. It is pointless to sale and you have to give it away. I just gave away 2 p4's to a friend to use as a backup computers as his is getting up there in years, nothing was wrong with them they ran perfectly fine I just couldn't sale them even if I tried so it was either that or drive down to an e-waste place and get rid of it.

Look at our cellphones which may be a better example to most people. A phone from 2003 to now is vastly different, i doubt anyone would even buy one made from back than, let alone be able to give it away. They are prehistoric by todays standards.


Aye, but I'd like to see my Lumia 520 still working in 10 years!
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
May 27, 2013 5:31:44 PM

xD i bought 2 gtx 8800 both with waterblocks and some fittings for a total of 50€(shipping included)...
This card was released in 2006 and cost 600$ each...
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2013 5:47:20 PM

except the 8800 gtx cards are now like equivalent to a 550ti?
a b K Overclocking
May 27, 2013 10:03:52 PM

giltyler said:
Wow! someone actually spent that much without the research as to what works together.
3.5 too many Titans for 1080p.
I would change most everything and stated many times above.
This thread reminds me of this listing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Best-Gaming-PC-SLINKY-SUPE...


Even if I had money to burn I wouldn't build something like that, let alone buy. It feel like I was doing something stupid like paying over $1 million for a diamond encrusted iPhone if all I wanted to do was gaming on a single monitor.
a b V Motherboard
a c 273 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
a b å Intel
May 28, 2013 10:15:35 AM

TheBigTroll said:
except the 8800 gtx cards are now like equivalent to a 550ti?


No GTX 8800 are more now like an equivalent to the 3DFX Voodoo 2 - great at the time but are fast fading technology.

Quote:
Personally I like to operate on the basis that the computer will be worthless the second I own it and never factor in the ability to resale it. As no matter how good a PC is years down the road it be obsolete, as someone has stated a PC 10years ago which was top of the line is hard to get rid of now. It is pointless to sale and you have to give it away. I just gave away 2 p4's to a friend to use as a backup computers as his is getting up there in years, nothing was wrong with them they ran perfectly fine I just couldn't sale them even if I tried so it was either that or drive down to an e-waste place and get rid of it.


That's an interesting way of looking at it. I really think that spending several thousand on a build that's going to fast depreciate isn't the way to go. The fact is everything depreciates. But in the PC world I'd say one thing that does not depreciate is how much data space you have. With games, media (music, movies, audio rips, Youtube videos, etc) and everything else taking up all that valuable drive space you can never have enough if you ask me. Ideally I'd spend about $2K on a rig and then upgrade incrementally as you go along, that's the only real way to ensure a build's longevity.
a b K Overclocking
May 28, 2013 11:32:24 AM

g-unit1111 said:TheBigTroll said:except the 8800 gtx cards are now like equivalent to a 550ti?

No GTX 8800 are more now like an equivalent to the 3DFX Voodoo 2 - great at the time but are fast fading technology.

Quote: Personally I like to operate on the basis that the computer will be worthless the second I own it and never factor in the ability to resale it. As no matter how good a PC is years down the road it be obsolete, as someone has stated a PC 10years ago which was top of the line is hard to get rid of now. It is pointless to sale and you have to give it away. I just gave away 2 p4's to a friend to use as a backup computers as his is getting up there in years, nothing was wrong with them they ran perfectly fine I just couldn't sale them even if I tried so it was either that or drive down to an e-waste place and get rid of it.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I really think that spending several thousand on a build that's going to fast depreciate isn't the way to go. The fact is everything depreciates. But in the PC world I'd say one thing that does not depreciate is how much data space you have. With games, media (music, movies, audio rips, Youtube videos, etc) and everything else taking up all that valuable drive space you can never have enough if you ask me. Ideally I'd spend about $2K on a rig and then upgrade incrementally as you go along, that's the only real way to ensure a build's longevity.

Very sound advice g $2000 every 2-3 years plus a few bucks in between would keep you in a good rig consistently.
4 Titans make a good display rig.
May 29, 2013 1:22:14 AM

does a GeForce GTX 650 ti at 2GB sound reasonable? And then I upgrade it every year?
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
May 29, 2013 3:29:07 AM

you want to upgrade every 3 to 4 years. the -60 cards are a good place to start
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
May 29, 2013 6:25:36 AM

Stephanie Cohen said:
does a GeForce GTX 650 ti at 2GB sound reasonable? And then I upgrade it every year?


You would probably be better with a 670 or 7950 and upgrading every two years
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
May 29, 2013 6:25:40 AM

Stephanie Cohen said:
does a GeForce GTX 650 ti at 2GB sound reasonable? And then I upgrade it every year?


You would probably be better with a 670 or 7950 and upgrading every two years
May 31, 2013 10:57:42 AM

Instead of going a Titan you can go with a single 780. Its basically a cut down Titan that gives roughly the same perforcmance for 350 bucks less. 650 ti boost 2gb is a great card but its hardly a showstopper.
June 2, 2013 2:20:15 PM

I have another question.

I currently have an i3 540 @ 3.06 ghz
Would a GTX 650 ti work well with that CPU? I'm not much of a gamer. Just wanna play bf3 and crysis 3 on max settings. Thanks!
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
June 2, 2013 2:27:38 PM

max settings aint happening with a 650ti. get at least a 7870 or gtx 660 to get ultra
December 22, 2013 11:34:32 AM

Stephanie Cohen said:
My friend wants to build the best gaming rig out there. He wants to use it for 10 years or more without upgrading anything.

He currently has:

1) Thermaltake Level 10 GT Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Case
2) LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive
3) 480GB PNY Prevail SSD / 4TB Serial ATA/600 64MB Buffer 7200RPM HDD
4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 32GB 1866MHz (4x8GB) Modules
5) ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Intel Motherboard
6) Two -- Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.5GHz
7) Four -- GeForce GTX Titan SuperClocked Signature 6GB 384-bit, SLI
8) EVGA Classified 1500w PSU
9) Asus Essence STX sound card
10) OS Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Does this build work well together? Does he need to buy anything else? He already has all the parts and is waiting for an answer before assembling it. He is planning to play Crysis 3 and the upcoming bf4 in max setting. He also wants to play future high end games on maximum settings without upgrading the rig.

Cost is NOT an issue and again, he wants to use it for more than 10 years without upgrading, so if there is something better than stated please do share. Thanks!

I recommend 4 of these for extreme future proofing http://www.asus.com/uk/ROG_ROG/MARS7604GD5/.
a b V Motherboard
a c 273 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
a b å Intel
December 22, 2013 1:43:33 PM

vae victus said:
Instead of going a Titan you can go with a single 780. Its basically a cut down Titan that gives roughly the same perforcmance for 350 bucks less. 650 ti boost 2gb is a great card but its hardly a showstopper.


No get a 780TI - it has an unlocked GK110 and is tailor made for overclocking enthusiasts.

Quote:
I recommend 4 of these for extreme future proofing http://www.asus.com/uk/ROG_ROG/MARS7604GD5/.


Future proofing? No such thing. Quad 760s? Won't beat dual 780TIs overclocked.
December 22, 2013 2:11:48 PM

g-unit1111 said:
vae victus said:
Instead of going a Titan you can go with a single 780. Its basically a cut down Titan that gives roughly the same perforcmance for 350 bucks less. 650 ti boost 2gb is a great card but its hardly a showstopper.


No get a 780TI - it has an unlocked GK110 and is tailor made for overclocking enthusiasts.

Quote:
I recommend 2 of these for extreme future proofing http://www.asus.com/uk/ROG_ROG/MARS7604GD5/.


Future proofing? No such thing. Quad 760s? Won't beat a 780 overclocked.

True that.
!