GA-Z77X-D3H 16X PCIE 3.0 SLOT problems

Ace28usa

Honorable
May 25, 2013
OK Its been YEARS since i built a new machine so i want this to work the way its supposed to .. ok i have a gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard ... the tom's hardware edition :) i also have a MSI HD 7870 Radeon card that is X16 and PCIE 3.0 ... now this mobo has onboard video and when i was booting up before disabling the onboard video i had no beep codes.. however once disabling the onboard video when i have my card inserted in the X16 pcie 3.0 slot (one nearest the cpu) i get a 1 long 2 short beep code ... i looked it up and it said that it was the video card so i shutdown and reseated the card powered back up.. still the beep code... now my mobo has 2 other PCIE slots one says 8X the other says 4X so i decided to move the card to the 8X slot to see what happens.. and it boots up no problems however .. this card is supposed to be a 3.0 X16 and call me crazy but i wanna get what i paid for .. ya know? so i went into the bios figuring i just had to enable the x16 slot to do this i set the "INIT DISPLAY FIRST" setting to PEG saved my changes rebooted/shutdown and moved the card back to X16 slot again 1 long 2 short beep code :( went back into bios after putting card back in 8x slot and noticed under the INIT DISPLAY FIRST setting is a Primary PEG with 4 options AUTO, PEG11,PEG12,PEG60 ive tried each and no go .. actually after selecting 2 of them when i reboot after saving changes of course i go back into BIOS and see that the changes had reverted back to default in regards to the PEG settings...I wentthrough the manual front to back and i never saw a mention of Primary PEG settings .. so not sure which to set it as ... if it helps my BIOS version is F16..

ive sifted through a bunch of topics on this board .. any help would be greatly appreciated :) sorry for the wall of text...

if anyone could clarify something for me too .. i understand PEG... BUT what is PEG11,PEG12,PEG60? does one of them in tech speak refer to the X16 slot? if so which? if i recall correctly it was PEG12 AND PEG60 that instantly revert my changes back to default settings ... however i only found that out by not immediately poweringdown and switching card to new slot.. rather i just powered back up and looked at bios to satisfy curiousity and i noticed that the changes had reverted to defaults... could thatve been due to me still have card plugged in and working on the X8 slot?

Ace28usa

Honorable
May 25, 2013
thanks for the info ... will try PEG11 when i get home later ... bah this is the 2nd motherboard i have recieved from newegg .. the first one i could visibly see bent CPU socket pins and sent that motherboard back to them hope its not the same issue this time around i looked at the socket very closely and everything looked beautifull ... however the first one they sent me you could see 2 bent/broken socket pins very easily as they messed up the symmetry of the socket

Ace28usa

Honorable
May 25, 2013
I set it to Peg11 and still the 1 long and 2 short beep code with no video :( happened to be inside tigerdirect today and the guy told me to bring my comp in said he would pop in a pcie 3.0 card into the slot so we could tell wether it was slot or card ... Is it likely to be an issue with the card or 100% definitely more likely to be slot/bent CPU socket pins issue?