Raedon HD-7979 can not run 3 displays on Windows 8

Stonehenge15

Honorable
May 27, 2013
I have a Radeon HD-7970 but cannot run 3 monitors on Windows 8. When I try to set 3 monitors, I get the error "The display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings."

My current setup is:

1: a minidisplay port to HDMI, which is AMD eyefinity approved: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041OEQA6/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

2. DVI connection which was provided with my 24" asus monitor
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BZNDS0/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

3. HDMI connection to a sharp aquos tv

All three monitors are detected in the control panel and in Catalyst control but can not be run at the same time.

Solution
Your problem is very simple, you are using a PASSIVE adapter to connect from your mini-DP to HDMI and not an ACTIVE one.

I don't know why it says Eyefinity Approved but that is bullshit and you can check the reviews in the Amazon page you posted and you find people saying that this is not an ACTIVE adapter

The thing is that even though you can use all the connections in the back of the card and be able to see all monitors in your control panel, you can activate ONLY TWO monitors at a time out of the card with all passive connections.

To get the 3rd monitor or the 4th monitor etc activated at the same time, for every monitor above the first two you have to either have a NATIVE Displayport monitor or use an ACTIVE Displayport to DVI...

MyNewRig

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Your problem is very simple, you are using a PASSIVE adapter to connect from your mini-DP to HDMI and not an ACTIVE one.

I don't know why it says Eyefinity Approved but that is bullshit and you can check the reviews in the Amazon page you posted and you find people saying that this is not an ACTIVE adapter

The thing is that even though you can use all the connections in the back of the card and be able to see all monitors in your control panel, you can activate ONLY TWO monitors at a time out of the card with all passive connections.

To get the 3rd monitor or the 4th monitor etc activated at the same time, for every monitor above the first two you have to either have a NATIVE Displayport monitor or use an ACTIVE Displayport to DVI adapter

Solution

gaborbarla

Distinguished

Hi,

This might help you, I am not sure if you can use the DVI to HDMI together with the HDMI port. I only ever got 3 monitors (eyefinity) working on an ATI card when I used 2xDVI and 1xDP to VGA adapter. It might be possible though what you are trying to do, cant find anything saying cant do it.

this should work for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815310003 I would avoid HDMI

Some more info here: Some more info

Gabor

Stonehenge15

Honorable
May 27, 2013

Wow, I sure missed that! I searched for the eyefinity approved and spent extra for it! Thank you so much for the quick reply. I just put in an order for an active minidisplay port to VGA adopter. I will update this thread when it arrives. Thanks!

MyNewRig

Honorable
May 7, 2013

You are more than welcome, i also had a very hard time figuring that out when i attempted Eyefinity for the first time, and ended up in your same exact situation with 3 monitors all passively connected and was not able to enable the third, no matter what i do i could only get 2 enabled at a time :)

I think Sapphire, XFX and Powercolor have true ACTIVE mini-DP to DVI adapters that consist of a male mini-DP going into the card and a female SL-DVI end where you can just normally plug your DVI cable coming from the monitor.

Also one more trick is that if you use DP to VGA it will HAVE to be active regardless of whether it says so on the cable or not, because DP is Digital while VGA is Analog, so the adapter has to be ACTIVELY converting the signal to provide a VGA output which actually does the trick.

It all comes down to some sort of synchronization or clocking that the card has to do to be able to run and orchestrate the monitors, the card is able to only provide two such clocks good for only two monitors, for the 3rd, the 4th and up to the 6th (if you have enough DP on the back pf the card to support that number) you can always connect the first TWO with passive adapters while all the rest need a native DP monitor or Active adapter to help the card run them all at once ..

Good luck and enjoy your Eyefinity, it is really awesome and once you get used to the Eyefinity you can never ever go back :)

Cheers