Does a server need a big processor?

TheTechnoTux

Honorable
May 27, 2013
Does a server need a big processor? Thinking of building one, with 16 or 32gb ram (haven't decided yet), decent mobo from Asus with sata3, all running Ubuntu Server with X. I'm wanting to run a minecraft server, a gmod server, time machine and apache web for 2 sites. Already have an old Dell running all of this, but with no X or gmod server, on a pentium with 4gb ram.

My question: will I be fine with a Sempron 145 or should I go for something bigger like an Athlon quad core? (I want amd for low cost)
Thanks

UPDATE: AM3+ socket preferably

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
It depends on the end use, a more powerful processor will allow those accessing the sever faster response times for server based processing requests, but not necessarily for data requests & transfers. A more powerful processor is not necessary if the primary use is file sharing.

draga14141

Honorable
May 27, 2013
Well most companies have there own "server" motherboards, Cpu's, and then just put a small end gpu on there and you have a great server build. Make sure you have enough watts, and make sure you have 80+ certified, Psu

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Sempron 145 isnt good enough for anything but a file server.

Minecraft server? How many people?

If you're only looking at under 20 people, then 4 GB of RAM and something like a Phenom II X2 is fine.

If you're looking at 50+ then 8-32GB is needed and a Phenom II X4 is preferred. Even X6 if possible.

I know a Minecraft server runner who uses a Xeon with his 100 person server.