Sign in with
Your question

What do you guys think of my gaming build?

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Graphics Cards
  • Build
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 27, 2013 4:18:23 AM

I decided to build my own computer last week and spent a while looking for parts and things, i managed to get my mother board and PSU free off a very nice person however i have no idea what make the PSU is :) 

Motherboard: asus P8H61-M LX
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_LX/

CPU: Sandybridge i5 2500k
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandybridge-i5-2500K-Quad...

Graphics card: EVGA gtx 660 Superclocked
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics-Car...

Case: Cooler master mid tower with side window
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-K-Series-USB3-0-W...

Extra fan: cooler master red fan
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-12cm-SickleFlow-S...

Extra info: I know the psu is 500watts and thats about it, i believe it is atx form factor

So what do you guys think. Its an absolutely huge upgrade from my old prebuilt from pc world. I am reusing the Hard drive and optical drive and ram from my old computer as they are fine but yeah, what do you guys think of my build. By the way i am planning on pc gaming on high settings for most things and trying to actually be able to run planetside 2.

Thanks

Edit: I took a picture of the PSU, if anyone can help me identify it then that would be nice.

http://imgur.com/P7KYhsS

Edit 2:

I decided to just buy a new psu

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

More about : guys gaming build

a c 135 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2013 4:33:35 AM

I don't like the motherboard particularly however you got the items for free so you really can't complain there. I would say that if you do not intend on overclocking however if you do a z68 or z77 chipset based motherboard will be required. Cases are a personal choice so I will leave that to you. The case looks very similar to the HAF X series with a little more budget value in mind. You won't have issues with Planetside 2.
May 27, 2013 4:35:28 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I don't like the motherboard particularly however you got the items for free so you really can't complain there. I would say that if you do not intend on overclocking however if you do a z68 or z77 chipset based motherboard will be required. Cases are a personal choice so I will leave that to you. The case looks very similar to the HAF X series with a little more budget value in mind. You won't have issues with Planetside 2.

Hah, yeah, i would have gone for a better MOBO if i didn't get it for free but im not too bothered about overclocking. Free is free and i might have not been able to afford the computer if i didn't get some parts for free

Related resources
May 27, 2013 4:43:49 AM

as u may know that haswell will be out in a week so sandy bridge bridge would be 2 generation older
but i am not saying that 2500k is bad it is pretty good
and try to find out what psu u have cause running a gpu on local psu is not recommended
and hd 7870xt would be a better option than gtx 660
May 27, 2013 4:46:53 AM

l89 said:
as u may know that haswell will be out in a week so sandy bridge bridge would be 2 generation older
but i am not saying that 2500k is bad it is pretty good and overclocks well so u would need a cpu cooler
and try to find out what psu u have cause running a gpu on local psu is not recommended
and hd 7870xt would be a better option than gtx 660

I know but according to the asus website, the motherboard only supports 2nd gen cpu's and i don't want to have to mess around with the bios to get it working with an ivy bridge. Also, what do you mean local psu? And the cpu should come with a stock cpu cooler

a c 135 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2013 4:47:58 AM

Meh, I would say that the 2500k is more than sufficient at this point. Ivy bridge was only a small increase over what Sandy Bridge was and the only real push with Haswell is power output on the laptop end of things there will be laptops in the 7 watt range if I remember correctly. Stick with it for a while. I find myself personally waiting for Skylake or the generation after that which is after Haswell mainly because its a newer architecture and because its supposed to carry the performance increase with bandwidth and with hopefully DDR4.

I feel I would want to know what the PSU manufacture was or the strength of the unit if you do not I would get that replaced as a priority one kind of thing. Nothing would be worse than the quality of your build to be compromised by a poor quality PSU. You can easily find a 550 watt PSU for example this XFX one which is of excellent quality for a considerably low price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 27, 2013 6:09:26 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Meh, I would say that the 2500k is more than sufficient at this point. Ivy bridge was only a small increase over what Sandy Bridge was and the only real push with Haswell is power output on the laptop end of things there will be laptops in the 7 watt range if I remember correctly. Stick with it for a while. I find myself personally waiting for Skylake or the generation after that which is after Haswell mainly because its a newer architecture and because its supposed to carry the performance increase with bandwidth and with hopefully DDR4.

I feel I would want to know what the PSU manufacture was or the strength of the unit if you do not I would get that replaced as a priority one kind of thing. Nothing would be worse than the quality of your build to be compromised by a poor quality PSU. You can easily find a 550 watt PSU for example this XFX one which is of excellent quality for a considerably low price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I included a picture of my power supply in my post with an edit, it is cit, 500 watts and the picture includes a lot of info including volts etc. I need to know whether or not it can handle my system. The guy who gave it to me is a pc expert but i just wanna be sure
a c 135 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2013 6:20:16 AM

I won't sugar coat it for you. I would say that your power supply if anything is probably just enough to power your system. You have 27 amps on the 12v rails and there spread among 2 rails. I would advise that it would be in your best interest to upgrade it when you can. It's not a quality unit.
May 27, 2013 6:21:50 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I won't sugar coat it for you. I would say that your power supply if anything is probably just enough to power your system. You have 27 amps on the 12v rails and there spread among 2 rails. I would advise that it would be in your best interest to upgrade it when you can. It's not a quality unit.

Fair enough, i got it for free so im not complaining, would this PSU be any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ-CXS500W-UK-CoreXStream-...
May 27, 2013 7:45:36 AM

bigshootr8 said:

I believe i am going to order the:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

as you suggested. Plenty of connectors and atx form factor, i can get it for £45 on amazon which is a good deal. I will check the connectors once more but it seems like it will every one i could ever need
a c 135 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2013 1:12:48 PM

You'll be far more secure with that power supply :)  And yes it does leave room for expansion. That is a pretty good deal I think I don't like in Europe so I don't know if it is. But yea I just think in the end it'll be better to get something a bit more proven. And again I think its great you got stuff for free just the one thing I don't mess with is my power supplies. Heres my system.

May 27, 2013 1:29:00 PM

bigshootr8 said:
You'll be far more secure with that power supply :)  And yes it does leave room for expansion. That is a pretty good deal I think I don't like in Europe so I don't know if it is. But yea I just think in the end it'll be better to get something a bit more proven. And again I think its great you got stuff for free just the one thing I don't mess with is my power supplies. Heres my system.

Nice. hopefully the cable management in my case will be good enough to house all the useless wires from the psu, from the pictures it looks a bit thin but im sure i will find a way to keep it all nice and neat

Thanks for your help
a c 135 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2013 2:22:33 PM

Oh of course yea it shouldn't be too hard I mean yea you can pay a bit more to get a semi modular power supply but all in all you can get cable ties and tie up what you don't use whether behind your case or at the bottom of your case.
May 27, 2013 2:27:15 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Oh of course yea it shouldn't be too hard I mean yea you can pay a bit more to get a semi modular power supply but all in all you can get cable ties and tie up what you don't use whether behind your case or at the bottom of your case.

Yeah, as long as my airflow isn't restricted i am really not bothered, i don't sit staring at my wires all day :D 

a c 135 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2013 2:30:29 PM

The hardest thing with the case you have there is you will have some difficulty with the hard drives with cable management since they hand on the side but all in all you should be fine with the motherboard punchouts. As well as the punched out back side panel where you can hide things a bit more and be sloppy in the back so you can't see things in the front.
May 27, 2013 2:34:00 PM

bigshootr8 said:
The hardest thing with the case you have there is you will have some difficulty with the hard drives with cable management since they hand on the side but all in all you should be fine with the motherboard punchouts. As well as the punched out back side panel where you can hide things a bit more and be sloppy in the back so you can't see things in the front.

All my stuff is ordered and arriving between tomorrow and Wednesday with the PSU coming on Friday hopefully, so i will be able to see for myself but just to reiterate. Do you think my build will be good for gaming, i get that it will be right now as the GPU is good and so is the processor but how long do you reckon it will hold out in the world of constantly updating hardware

a c 135 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2013 2:53:10 PM

Oh yea I think your computer is great for gaming. I mean sure you won't be able to max games out but I know for a fact that you will be able to play games and have a really good time with them.
May 27, 2013 2:58:10 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Oh yea I think your computer is great for gaming. I mean sure you won't be able to max games out but I know for a fact that you will be able to play games and have a really good time with them.

ha, thanks, Maxing games out is not my thing. According to reviews though i will be able to play most modern games comfortably on high settings at 60fps or above on the gtx 660. But being able to completely max games out is far too expensive. I mean its about an extra £100 for the next step up in nvidia card from the 660 to the 670

a c 135 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2013 3:01:13 PM

EVGA eh? Very nice yes I would look more into that and maybe you'll have a situation where you can step up to a 770 when it comes out I mean given a few months if it lasts that long you can do that.
May 27, 2013 3:03:23 PM

bigshootr8 said:
EVGA eh? Very nice yes I would look more into that and maybe you'll have a situation where you can step up to a 770 when it comes out I mean given a few months if it lasts that long you can do that.

Thanks man, nothing better than hearing you picked out a good semi budget build. I spent almost all my money and dipped into most of my small savings but it was worth it for a good pc

a c 135 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2013 3:05:59 PM

No problem man, you are exactly where one would want to be on a semi budget build. You really have quite a bit of bang in your system.

Seriously though please look into step it up. When I did step it up with my EVGA 560Ti cards I had to warranty both my cards before I was eligible and you may need to do that soon after your purchase. It's not very expensive.
May 27, 2013 3:10:53 PM

bigshootr8 said:
No problem man, you are exactly where one would want to be on a semi budget build. You really have quite a bit of bang in your system.

Seriously though please look into step it up. When I did step it up with my EVGA 560Ti cards I had to warranty both my cards before I was eligible and you may need to do that soon after your purchase. It's not very expensive.

Wow, i had no idea what you were talking about with step up so i looked it up and EVGA are awesome man, that is so cool that they let you do that. I will check my warranty details when i receive my card but yeah i might end up doing that because it will save me so much money in the future.

a c 135 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2013 3:47:49 PM

Yea keep in mind though that its a short period of time that you are allowed to do it. I think in the UK its 6 months don't quote me it may be less. I know when I was able to do it; it was 3 months. But here is the catch you pay into the warranty I paid 15 dollars per card which brings the warranty on the cards to 5 years and then you are able to pay the difference on the card to the next card. You have to make upgrades beyond the Ti stuff though So if you were like I want a 760Ti you can't do that it has to be the next 2nd number 670, 680, 770, 780. But yea its a pretty cool deal. EVGA is the only company I know of that does this.
!