What Is The Best CPU I Can Use For RC415 Motherboard?

Daniel Plisken

Honorable
May 27, 2013
Hi
I have recently had to get an old computer of mine up and running again but I just feel like the performance has been shocking recently, I have just put a fresh install of XP on it to try and free up some resources but the computer is hanging a lot and taking a long time to complete simple tasks and it cant even handle videos on youtube in full screen :pfff:

Does anyone know what is the best Processor that I can get for my computer, It currently has a Intel Pentium D 925 and uses the Packard bell RC415 Motherboard.

I have a small budget but would be willing to pay that little extra if is worth it.
3Jk8rwG

GGJQYaE

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Unfortunately, your motherboard does not have the support for Core series processors.

An "upgrade" in processor speed, as far as a single core goes, would be the Pentium 4 with HT.
However, the Pentium D is a dual core, albeit, weaker cores, but it is about equivalent and the upgrade is NOT worth it.

What is your budget? It may be a better idea to simply save up your money and buy a whole new build then, as now, that computer has very little support for newer, or even better parts of that generation.

Daniel Plisken

Honorable
May 27, 2013

Thanks for the advice, I don't have much of a budget now but was looking for a cheap fix to get me through the final weeks of college but by the sound of things it really doesn't seem worth it!
Been saving up a bit to build my own in the summer so hopefully this will last me until then :)

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

If all you need is to make it bearable through the summer, an SSD will help greatly increase the responsive.

If it is just for basic tasks, a cheap GPU upgrade and a cheap SSD will fix everything; any responsive issues will be handled by the SSD and a cheap GPU will handle the youtube video problem.

Daniel Plisken

Honorable
May 27, 2013

Got it running a little bit better bought some ram and put vista on it which surprisingly helped it 7,8 and XP just didn't seem to agree with this computer.

Its bearable now at least and is decent enough for me to get all my assignments done and normal use before I build my PC in the summer!

Thanks again for the advice, might go and buy a good SSD and use it in this and my next PC as well!:)