Which console is for you?

• Playsation 4

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Console? I have a PC. ^_^

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
So I'd thought I would start a thread to discuss the next-gen consoles, so to speak. I see a lot of Xbox One hate too which seems over hyped.

-Also keep in mind the next-gen affects PC gamers too.

I find it interesting that the Xbox One is being so hated on, but the PS4 is getting more love.

I want to make some points here that hopefully people can respectfully discuss.

PS4 Reveal:
No System Shown
Game play on PC, not console

Xbox One Reveal:
Console Shown
System Specifications Shown
Media Features Shown
No Games Shown

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For starters people wanted to see game play on the Xbox One(none shown, which ruined their reveal), but they showed all these media capabilities.

My Opinion-
Media Features are amazing. Being able to switch to a channel instantly with words is useful and quick. Cable company boxes are slow and painful to use, but this is fast and easy. Why not use a new and better method of access?

You also don't need to switch inputs between TV and Xbox. You can say "Xbox One TV, HBO", and watch game of thrones quicker than switching inputs and channel, then switch back after watching it and continue right where you left off.

Overall the system of access appears easy to use for watching TV, Movies, Games which is a great thing. I use my PS3 to stream stuff from netflix, files from PC, and other netflix like content providers.

So what's the big deal with not showing games on the Xbox One anyway?

Gaming on the Xbox One or PS4 will be identical graphically within a small margin, the system specs will be similar for both consoles, so seeing gameplay on PS4 will be almost the same as Xbox One.

For the Sony reveal, that was a huge disappointment. Games running off a PC? No System Reveal, exclusive deals, ?, that's it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only distinguishable things between the consoles will be the following:
-Media features
-DRM
-Controllers
-Physical Design
-Price

Gaming graphically will be the same, so who cares? So it really comes down to extra features and DRM mainly in this generation. Gaming will only be a feature.

I think console users will start getting a taste of what PC gamers have had for a long time too now, but Sony and MS need to offer Steam like deals to not offend their users. Also, DRM needs to be handled carefully, both consoles will have DRM no doubt.

Someone might start calling me a MS fan boy for defending the Xbox One above too, so let me say this, no. I love my PS1, PS2, and somewhat PS3, and I think the Xbox 360 is pretty cool too. I don't play console games anymore though, I am a PC gamer and don't like console gaming this generation(I'd rather game on an Atari or NES like I used to).

G

Well, I assume that they will didn't show games because E3 is less than a few weeks away.... Threads like this always end in flame war dude.

Jake229

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

Which is why I asked for people to be respectful. ;D Although people don't seem to do that, some people just can't have an intelligent conversation without their feelings getting in the way.

lazykoala

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I see absolutely no reason to choose the XB1 over the PS4 unless you absolutely have to play forza, halo, etc... even then I personally prefer PS4 exclusives way more. Specs wise they are identical with the PS4 having a slight edge. Both will be practically identical media-wise and even if one does slightly more at the start, you can bet the other will eventually add the same or similar capabilities later on. The XB1 console itself looks like a prehistoric VCR so I have no doubt the PS4 console will inevitably look better. The controllers are about the same, but I have always preferred the feel of the PS controllers. Some say the XB controllers are better for certain games, but I could never tell the difference and who would play an FPS on a console anyway.

I don't find it surprising at all that people are leaning towards the PS4. Just the fact that there is any mention on XB's part about DRM and blocking used games is going to generate hate...I mean, didn't they learn from D3 and sim city at all? It doesn't matter if it's true or not, just mentioning it gives gamers bad vibes. Sony went the other way and said no DRM, no blocking used games, and the possibility of being backwards compatible w/ ps3 via their online services. PS4 will undoubtedly have more interesting exclusives too and better third party support as they have typically supported indie developers in a friendlier way than msoft has in the past. Just look at what XB announced game-wise thus far. Mostly EA games that have been done a million times already and possibly 1 new IP. Sony already has strong relations with Japanese developers whereas msoft has yet to establish that and just leans on EA, activision, etc... Either way, we'll know more after E3 and I won't be suprised if the PS4 pulls away from the XB1 even more.

You make some good points there. The exclusives will surely be a defining factor for both these consoles. I think the PS4 reveal was a bigger disappointment though, but they will both bring out the big guns at E3 for sure.

There is a lot of good exclusives that I enjoyed on PS3 like uncharted, which sadly is not on the PC, but that is one good example of a fantastic exclusive. Sony will have some form of DRM I'm sure though. In the future used games will be a thing of the past though considering by the next-gen everyone should have high-speed internet.

The Xbox One design is just terrible and I do actually have a VCR that looks just like that laying around somewhere. -.- Xbox One will easily sell millions of copies though as long as halo, call of duty, and gears of war sells.

Microsoft had a huge opportunity with the XBOX one and they blew it though in a lot of ways. I can't say I trust Sony to much either really, I think they are looking good right now because of lack of details so far. Sony has done some questionable things with PS3 so far.

For the online services, I wouldn't call that backwards compatible. Streaming games is a step in the wrong direction, but for consoles I guess it's not so bad.

i think the most major disappointment seems to be the power of these new consoles. i understand that both ps3 and 360 had heat issues which turned into a major pain in the butt for both companies because they found in the long run that cooling was a real issue. so now we have much more efficient apu design which allows for much less wattage and heat. the real major advantage is the ps4/xbox1 should be very nearly inaudible by design, which is especially nice for home theater setups where each console will more than likely be used to play blurays/stream video media, and will not distract from the viewing enjoyment. everybody knows that one monster over the top advantage the ps3 has over the 360 is that it is almost 3 times as quiet as a 360

G

The few games that I get that are going to be considered "hardcore" (Battlefield, The Witcher, Counter-Strike, Civilization, etc.) are either PC exclusives or are generally better on PC anyway. Not to say that the new generation consoles are not going to have good versions of these games, but the most cutting edge has always been on PC. So when I look for a console system it is necessary for it to be a group oriented system.... I will be getting a Wii U then because Nintendo always has the best group and local games, playing local CoD22 isn't very fun, but SSBB is. I can be fat on my PC, but I can be social with a Wii U

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
The only thing I play on my console anymore is Forza and Halo. I bought the 360 because of Halo and I have always liked the online features better on Xbox even though it costs money.
So I will most likely end up getting the Xbox One for Forza 5 as it is literally the only game left I don't play on PC mostly.
The other thing is I have a kind of irrational hatred for the play station controllers haha. I can't stand the left stick/pad positioning and I prefer Xbox triggers/bumpers much more.

Always thought it was strange how people can hate the PS controller. I always thought of it was the perfect controller design. You should play Forza with a wheel if Xbox even supports those, much more fun that way.